THIS POSITION IS A SHORT TERM, MAX 1,000 HOUR ASSIGNMENT.
North Wind Services, is actively seeking individuals who can contribute to national security within the science, technology, and engineering fields as part of our supplemental labor team at vital federal research and development installations supporting the Department of Energy. NWS has an established history of contributing to the success of their customers mission. Available employment opportunities may range from administrative and logistical support to advanced technical positions.
Qualified applicants must be a US citizen, at least 18 years of age, and able to meet pre-employment requirements including any required physicals, drug screen, and/or background investigation to satisfy clearance requirements from the Department of Energy.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
NWS demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an exemption, and associated accommodations if deemed available and reasonable, under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
Successful candidates will be employees of NWS, a premier government contractor charged with employing highly-motivated and well-qualified personnel who can advance the missions of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, CA. Though employed by NWS, the employee will take day-to-day direction from technical personnel employed directly by the research laboratories. Pay, benefits, Human Resource, and Employment Management functions are provided by NWS.
The Human Resources (HR) Directorate has an opening for a Learning Experience/Instructional Design Training and Development Specialist to provide a full range of services, such as planning, designing, developing, and coordinating new and existing professional training and onboarding programs for the Laboratory. The successful candidate will use a systematic approach to training, development, analysis and instructional design for adult learners, leveraging the latest learning management systems, web-development, graphic art tools, and advanced technology to keep training on par with industry trends. The successful candidate will use your broad expertise to effectively engage with all levels of management and employees to establish appropriate training program objectives.
This position may require the employee to have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and/or weekends to accomplish goals. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
- Analyze complex content, target audiences, job tasks and learner environments to identify appropriate instructional strategies, defining learning objectives, monitoring changes in procedures and policies; including lessons learned, auditing findings for impact and revising training materials.
- Design course goals, objectives and content, including text, scripts, graphics, video, audio, test questions, instructor guides, participant materials and supporting web pages and documentation to engage employees in the learning process, encourage course participation and meet the requirements of the adult learner.
- Write, narrate, and synchronize course scripts, audio files, scenarios, and simulations required for instructor-led and web-based course content using a professional systematic and current approach to learning development for physical and virtual trainings.
- Develop and design complex courses using high-level, cutting edge technology, multimedia and learning software in the instructional design process and production of web-based courses, assuring successful course publishing is accessible, current, consistent across the Lab, and delivered under established schedules.
- Leverage existing content where practical for course development initiatives, stay current and expand knowledge of instructional design, e-learning industry trends, learning systems and related technology including web-based design methodologies and adult education.
- Conduct interviews and collaborate with subject matter experts (SMEs) and team members to quickly assess, design, develop and deploy instructor-led, web-based, and on-the-job training materials that are based on analysis and needs assessment.
- Monitor, interpret, and implement instructional design changes in policies and procedures, orders, and other relevant regulatory standards to maintain LLNL HR accountability and influence others.
- Use sharable content object reference models (SCORM) to create units of online training materials to be shared and reused across different systems and contexts.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Apply knowledge of eLearning production, including image handling, video production, publishing and design, simulations, interactivity, hypermedia, SCORM, tutorials in training applications, presentation preparation, gamification, and animation techniques to develop and implement highly engaging and interactive eLearning courses for computer and mobile platforms.
- Identify and oversee continuous educational activities/learning development to improve expertise in both technical and instruction design skills for self and team.
- Act in a community leadership backup role when required.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree Instructional Design, Education Technology, or related field; or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience implementing instructional technology models and designs, applying adult learning theory, web-based training interface design. simulations, interactivity, hypermedia, SCORM and tutorials in training applications.
- Advanced knowledge of managing instructional design and learning development projects from inception to delivery that focus on the integration of adult learning principles and models (e.g., ADDIE, SAM, and Kirkpatrick’s Levels of Evaluation), applying a variety of web-based training interface design.
- Experience with Web-Based Training (WBT) and Web Publishing Tool software, such as Adobe Acrobat Pro, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Articulate, Storyline, Quizmaker, Video Encoder, Captivate, Camtasia, and Dreamweaver.
- Advanced analytical, decision-making, critical-thinking and project management skills in instructional design as it relates to performing Structured Job Task Analyses (SJTA), scope identification, design specifications and writing performance-based objectives in curriculum development.
- Effective verbal and standard written communication, interpersonal, facilitation and collaboration skills necessary to assess, write, edit, present, explain, advise, influence, and communicate course content and complex information to all levels of personnel.
- Effective organization, project-management, and self-management skills with detail orientation necessary to handle multiple complex tasks in a demanding environment with conflicting priorities, tight and changing deadlines, and frequent interruptions while providing high-level customer service and follow-through. Ability to work with little to no supervision.
- Experience working independently and in a team environment/matrixed organization with a broad cross-section of people and organizations, managing complex projects, and meeting tight deadlines in a quick to market environment.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Master’s degree or higher in Instructional Design, Education Technology or related field or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Expert analytical, decision-making, critical-thinking, project management, and consulting skills as it relates to instructional design, structured job task analysis, scope identification, design specifications and writing performance-based objectives in curriculum development.
- Experience managing, leading and delivering large scale learning development projects from inception to delivery that focus on the integration of adult learning principles, creative writing/storytelling, and advanced cutting-edge technology/web-based software into the instructional design process to develop engaging learning interactions.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-employment drug test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: P (position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave, and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline 1-208-528-8714 for assistance.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.