Animal Camp Counselor (Seasonal)
The East Bay SPCA (EBSPCA) is a 501(c) 3 non-profit committed to the welfare of dogs and cats in Alameda and Contra Costa Counties. We strive to eliminate animal cruelty, neglect and overpopulation by providing programs and education that support people and companion animals. The EBSPCA is one of the nation’s oldest humane organizations, in operation since 1874, and receives no funding from any national organizations. You can find more information about EBSPCA on our website at www.eastbayspca.org.
The Animal Camp Counselor (seasonal) assists in facilitating summer camp programs at our Oakland and Dublin campuses. Animal Camp Counselors are responsible for monitoring campers’ safety, presenting lessons and activities in a fun and engaging manner, and supervising animal meets.
Category: Seasonal; Non-exempt
Location: Dublin, CA
Reports to: Humane Education Manager
- Must be 18 years or older
- Experience in providing educational programming and supervising children (K – 12)
- Ability to work independently and manage time well
- Experience with animal handling/care preferred
- Available for scheduled hours (see Working Conditions)
- Pre-employment background check, drug screening, and finger-printing clearance required
- Demonstration of excellent communication skills
- Facilitate youth animal camps, ages 6 – 14, including daily lessons, games, crafts, activities, and interaction with shelter dogs and cats
- Maintain an organized, structured classroom; assist with set up & clean up each day
- Provide a safe, fun and engaging learning environment for participants
- Follow East Bay SPCA policies and procedures when working with participants, staff, volunteers and shelter animals
- Assist with program administrative tasks
- Provide guidance and support to youth volunteers (Counselors-In-Training)
- Facilitate animal interactions ensuring proper animal safety protocols
- Respond to electronic and telephone messages in a timely and appropriate manner
- Provide care for onsite education animals, as needed
- Provide basic communications with camper parents
- Comply with applicable Mandated Reporter requirements per California Penal Code
o Mandatory Training Dates: May 24-June 3, 2022 (with May 30 off to observe Memorial Day)
o During Camp: June 6 – Aug 12, 2022
§ Facilitating Camp which takes place Monday through Friday from 9am-3pm, including time for preparation and clean up. General workday is 8:00am-4:30pm with a 30 minute lunch.
- Work is performed in an animal shelter environment at Oakland and Dublin facilities
- Must be comfortable handling dogs and cats of all sizes and ages
- Animal contacts and related injuries, including bites and scratches, may occur
- Noise exposure varies and often includes uncontrolled barking and other animal vocalizations
- Animal waste contact, smells and visual exposure are prevalent
- Occasional lifting up to 50 lbs. with reasonable accommodation
This is a seasonal non-exempt position with a payrate of $17/hour. There are no benefits included in this position.
Please apply on our website eastbayspca.org/careers. No phone calls please.