The Sr Supplier Engineer will be a key employee of the new NPI-Procurement Engineering Sourcing Project, and will be assigned to work directly with an R&D Engineering Team at the onset of a new Design Project. This person is responsible for ensuring suppliers meet Bio-Rad’s requirements for quality, service, delivery, and cost. Drive suppliers to continuously improve business and manufacturing processes. Help Procurement teams evaluate and select suppliers. Guide Engineering in choosing suppliers for new products and provide DFM input to new designs. Supports both NPI and on-going production. Executes detailed projects with suppliers to implement changes and improvements affecting quality, cost, capacity, risk, and sub-supplier management. This is a unique opportunity for a manufacturing engineer to move into more of a project/procurement role.
The ideal candidate possesses broad and deep hands-on electronic manufacturing, metal machining manufacturing, and/or plastic injection molding experience along with skills to select and develop suppliers. This candidate would work with procurement and Bio-Rad R&D engineering during new product introduction to:
- Develop supplier ramp readiness plans by judging business risk based on forecast, supplier capacity, quality performance, and process capability.· DFM by engaging suppliers early in development cycle to feedback manufacturability improvements in the designs prior to production.
- Influence and guide Engineering in choosing suppliers by determining selection criteria for preferred suppliers and leading the team effort to evaluate preferred suppliers.
- Review, analyze and close customer complaints, manufacturing variance requests, and first article inspections by judging risk analyses and justifications.
- Support design changes to product requirements as necessary by initiating and managing changes to specifications and drawings through the engineering change order process.
- Manage supplier changes including manufacturing process changes, production optimization, facility changes, new equipment qualification, and new line validations.
- Drive suppliers to continually improve their business and manufacturing process performance to meet Bio-Rad’s requirements for supplier excellence using a collection of best practices in project management, Six Sigma, Lean, SPC and negotiation.
- Lead these efforts without managerial guidance at several suppliers simultaneously. Provide effective and timely supply base health information and recommendation to management by creating and delivering data-driven supply base information, and prepare and deliver supplier communications as required by independently working with suppliers on scorecard creation.
- Serves as advisor to functional decision makers and holders about project material spend.
- Mentors junior Sourcing Specialists as well as Supply Assurance Specialists
- BS degree in Engineering or equivalent experience, advanced degree preferred.
- 5-7+ years related experience in engineering and manufacturing of PCBAs, metal components, and/or plastic injection molding. Experience working in medical devices industry is desirable.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including presentations to executive level management.
- Excellent Interpersonal skills and teamwork.
- Experience with Lean/6 Sigma/SPC Programs at suppliers.
- Excellent Project Management skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills along with good judgment.
- Demonstrable knowledge in evaluating and challenging supplier technical, quality, and business capabilities.
- Demonstrable knowledge of a wide range of manufacturing processes including understanding of key input variables for quality, cost, and capacity (specialization can be in metal fabrication, plastics, electronics, and/or contract manufacturing).
- Knowledge of 21 CFR part 820 and ISO 13485 (experience in auditing suppliers to these standards) preferred
- Significant experience using ERP Information Systems, preferably SAP.
Due to the higher threat of more infectious and deadly COVID-19 variant strains emerging, Bio-Rad recently announced a new mandatory vaccination policy requiring its US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Bio-Rad will make reasonable accommodations for valid exemptions based on disability, medical, or religious reasons. With this policy, Bio-Rad joins a growing list of companies that are prioritizing sound science and available facts to best ensure the ongoing safety of its employees and the community.
Bio-Rad is a global leader providing a broad array of clinical diagnostics and life science research products. With a team of more than 8,000 employees and a global network of operations serving our customers, we help people live longer, healthier lives.
Bio-Rad was founded over six decades ago and has continued to provide the healthcare industry with innovative and useful products that help life science researchers accelerate the discovery process and medical diagnostic labs obtain faster, better results.
Bio-Rad does not accept agency resumes, unless the agency has been authorized by a Bio-Rad Recruiting Representative. Please do not submit resumes unless authorized to do so. Bio-Rad will not pay for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Benfits & Pay:
One of Bio-Rad’s strengths is the diversity of its people. That’s why we are proud to offer a benefits program that allows you to select from a variety of options to best meet the needs of you and your family. Bio-Rad Employee Benefits include FREE health insurance option for employees and their dependents, short and long term disability, 401k profit sharing, employee stock purchase program, $5k annual education benefits, student debt relief program, and more!
- Approximate base pay range of $83,300 - $124,900
- 5% annual bonus
- $5,000 sign-on bonus
- This position is hybrid eligible (1-2 days per week onsite preferred). Open to remote for the right candidate.