Bio-Rad is seeking an experienced instrument control software developer with strong Linux skills.
At Bio-Rad, our mission is to provide useful, high-quality products and services that advance scientific discovery and improve healthcare.
Be part of a team developing the next generation of single-cell assays on our industry-leading partitioning platforms for clinical laboratories and research use.
Note: This is a hybrid position.
- Develop software used to control automated laboratory devices and instruments.
- Implement instrument control layers using C++ on Linux.
- Use Microsoft Azure DevOps to plan and manage development tasks, estimation, project backlog, and capacity planning.
- Perform and respond to peer code reviews in multiple programming languages.
- Work with Business Analyst to ensure designs meet requirements.
- Work with internal and external chemistry, software, and engineering groups to collaboratively plan, design and implement software using SCRUM methodology in an iteration-based approach (design, task, implement, test).
- Work with and support Software Quality Assurance in their role of testing, verifying, and validating software modules.
- Participate in collaborative communication and open discussion of design and implementation approaches, discussing pros/cons with stakeholders and team members.
- Document work both with in-code comments, and with a combination of generated and hand-crafted documentation.
- Help stakeholders develop requirements by providing technical analysis of implementation effects and offering insights and suggestions as appropriate. Take requirements from design through to implementation both independently and with the larger team.
- Provide software support to legacy products as needed.
- Solid experience developing software in C/C++, including use of the STL, on Linux or other UNIX-family platforms.
- Strong understanding of software design principles such as Object-Oriented Design and Design Patterns.
- Experience with data signaling technologies, such as RS-232 and Digital I/O, from both the system perspective and the hardware/electronic perspective.
- Experience with UNIX-style process handling and inter-process communications.
- Ability to work collaboratively in teams and develop meaningful relationships to achieve common goals.
- Have a good understanding of software best practices, development, test and deployment methodologies, and a variety of software tools.
- Have a good understanding of source-control techniques and practices.
- Have strong analytical abilities and an architect mindset.
- Ability to leverage limited experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Be open to working with other operating systems and new technology stacks.
- We encourage applicants who do not meet all of these ideal characteristics, but have a solid software development background, and an enthusiastic desire toward learning new skills, to apply. Highly desirable knowledge and experience:
- Experience working with and developing in Windows using C#, and .NET.
- Experience working in a highly regulated (e.g. FDA) environment, and/or development experience in a biotech or Medical Device setting.
Ability and consent to upload proof of completed Covid-19 vaccination into our secure database within 3 days of start date.
Who We Are:
For 70 years, Bio-Rad has focused on advancing the discovery process and transforming the fields of science and healthcare. As one of the top five life science companies, we are a global leader in developing, manufacturing, and marketing a broad range of high-quality research and clinical diagnostic products. We help people everywhere live longer, healthier lives. Recently voted a Best Place to Work, Bio-Rad offers a unique employee experience with collaborative teams that span the globe. Here, you are supported by leadership to build your career and are empowered to drive change that makes an impact you can see
Bio-Rad's biggest asset is its people, and the reason why our Total Rewards deliver programs that provide value, quality, affordability, and inclusivity while satisfying the diverse needs of our evolving workforce. Our robust offerings serve to enrich the overall health, wealth, and wellbeing of our employees and their families through the various stages of an employee’s work and life cycle. We’re proud to offer rich options, including no-cost medical plans, free HSA money, a new fertility offering with stipend, life and disability, paid parental leave, 401k plus profit sharing, employee stock purchase program, a new upgraded and streamlined mental health platform, extensive learning and development opportunities, education benefits, student debt relief program, pet insurance, wellness challenges, time off, ERG’s, and more!
Bio-Rad is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and we welcome candidates of all backgrounds. Veterans, people with disabilities, and people of all races, ethnicities, genders, ages, and orientations are encouraged to apply.
Bio-Rad does not accept agency resumes, unless the agency has been authorized by a Bio-Rad Recruiting Representative. Please do not submit resumes unless authorized to do so. Bio-Rad will not pay for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.