Bio-Rad Clinical Diagnostics Group (CDG) is one of the leading global providers of tests for infectious and autoimmune disease screening, diabetes screening and monitoring, blood grouping as well as a whole range of reagents and software for laboratory quality control. CDG provides over 3,000 reagents, devices and instruments for about 300 diagnostic tests to a global customer base. At Bio-Rad CDG we are building a world class global R&D capability to support our ambitious clinical diagnostics strategy and drive long term growth for the company. An important part of this transformation is the creation of a Global Systems Engineering Organization, based in Hercules, Ca to support all of our existing core diagnostics platforms and to execute an exciting new product roadmap.
We are looking for an experienced engineering manager to bring together existing engineering talent under one function and to build on that group to create a global instrument development team including Mechatronics, Architecture, Requirement Mgmt., Integration V&V and Instrumentation capabilities. The newly formed Instrument Engineering team will play a major role in execution of new platform development for two of our diagnostics franchises as well as for a complex multi-year technology transfer and sustaining of a large portfolio of existing products.
For the right engineering leader, this career-defining role will represent a unique opportunity to build a world class team and to make a lasting impact in the clinical diagnostics field.
This position is eligible for $20,000 HIRING BONUS
- Bonus offered for a limited time only
- Bonus applicable to specific positions as labeled
- Bonus recipients must be employed at the time of payout
- Bonus payout after 30 days of employment with Bio-Rad
- Bonus offered to direct hires only. Agency hires and internal transfers are not eligible.
- 12 months repayment clause
- Develop a multi-year functional plan for the instrument engineering team, aligned with overall R&D and system engineering functional strategies.
- Refine organizational structure and recruit top talent into critical roles, including coaching and development of next level talent in the succession pipeline.
- Deliver functional excellence to all approved NPD and sustaining programs by identifying, recruiting, and developing core team members that could represent multiple disciplines of engineering and/or broader R&D on the project core teams.
- Implement functional management processes and tools to monitor progress of engineering deliverable to all teams across the portfolio.
- Provide input and insight to quarterly portfolio mgmt. process through upkeep of resource management data base and resolution of resource conflicts related to instrument engineering across the portfolio.
- Challenge and support core team members to ensure highest level of instrument engineering rigor is delivered to every project team.
- Build upon the existing engineering capability in the areas of Mechanical, Electronics, FW, Thermal, Fluidics, Optics, Instrumentation, Instrument Architecture & Integration and Reliability.
- Implement instrument engineering best practices to support product development activities, including DfX and Lean Six Sigma practices.
- Create and manage a modular strategy allowing re-use of solutions to optimize COGS, cost of development and time to market.
- Team with the System Engineering group to provide the best integrated solutions.
- MS (or equivalent experience) in Electrical, Mechanical, Instrumentation, Biomedical or other relevant engineering disciplines. PhD or MBA, a plus.
- 3 years of demonstrated experience of managing and growing successful engineering teams with emphasis on complex instrumentation or HW and SW platforms.
- 8 Years of experience in design and development of complex integrated solutions comprising of hardware, software & assays in the life sciences / diagnostics industry (or equivalent experience in other industries) with demonstrated commercial success in the field.
- Advanced proficiency in modular architecture, Total Cost of Ownership optimized design and DfX.
- Lean and Six Sigma expertise (Black Belt a plus).
- Experience in Systems Engineering and working closely with a Systems Engineering group.
- 5 years of experience working in a regulated industry, ideally within the clinical diagnostics filed with experience with FDA and other global regulatory environments.
- Proven track record of project management.
- Excellent problem-solving, organizational, analytical and critical thinking skills including high discretion/judgment in decision making.
- Ability to foresee and manage risks within current projects and/or technology.
- Ability to influence cross-functional partners, business units, and/or sites.
- Ability to interact professionally with all organizational levels and proactively escalate issues to appropriate levels of management in the organization.
- Ability to work and excel within a fast paced, dynamic, and changing work environment.
Due to the higher threat of more infectious and deadly COVID-19 variant strains emerging, Bio-Rad recently announced a new mandatory vaccination policy requiring its US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Bio-Rad will make reasonable accommodations for valid exemptions based on disability, medical, or religious reasons. With this policy, Bio-Rad joins a growing list of companies that are prioritizing sound science and available facts to best ensure the ongoing safety of its employees and the community.
Bio-Rad is a global leader providing a broad array of clinical diagnostics and life science research products. With a team of more than 8,000 employees and a global network of operations serving our customers, we help people live longer, healthier lives.
Bio-Rad was founded over six decades ago and has continued to provide the healthcare industry with innovative and useful products that help life science researchers accelerate the discovery process and medical diagnostic labs obtain faster, better results.
Bio-Rad does not accept agency resumes, unless the agency has been authorized by a Bio-Rad Recruiting Representative. Please do not submit resumes unless authorized to do so. Bio-Rad will not pay for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. #LI-AK1