The role of the EH&S Specialist III is to implement EHS programs and lead various program activities for Bio-Rad, specifically pertaining to SDS authoring, low volume exemption TSCA submissions, and JSA/PHA. Under the leadership of the NorCal EHS Manager, the EH&S Specialist III will serve as a technical consultant/subject matter expert for EHS programs such as electrical safety, hazard communication, new product development, personal protective equipment (PPE), chemical management, international shipping of dangerous goods, and laboratory safety.
- Hazard Communication: Fluent in the OSHA Hazard Communication Standard (2012). Familiar with the UN Globally Harmonized System for the Classification and Labeling of Chemicals (GHS) and regional application of this standard. Ability to develop regionally compliant SDS for Bio-Rad’s world market using an SDS Authoring Database. Ability to use GHS in the hazard assessment of raw materials (chemicals) and the classification of new products.
- Toxic Substances Control Act (2016): Responsible for Low Volume Exemption TSCA submissions. Manage restrictions derived from EPA chemical evaluations, identifying impact to Bio-Rad operations and working with impacted organizations as needed.
- Job Safety Analysis / Process Hazard Assessments: Ability to incorporate industrial ergonomic considerations in task evaluation for R&D laboratory and manufacturing floor operations. Be able to identify appropriate PPE for the tasks. Lead Machine Safety Program - Evaluate equipment design and suggest modifications and safety improvements.
- Site EHS Representative: Manage proactive EHS activities, host safety committee meetings, and lead incident investigations for assigned NorCal buildings.
- B.S. Degree, preferably in Engineering, required.
- 5+ years of relevant experience required in the areas of engineering, health and safety, chemistry, or environmental science.
- Experience authoring SDSs strongly preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Skills in Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Power Point, Excel, and Outlook. Additional Software: SharePoint, Docusign, SAP, ServiceNow, PowerBI, and Smartsheets.
- Possesses working knowledge of OSHA, and EPA and other related regulatory requirements.
- Experience with completing and submitting EHS-related reports and permit requests to appropriate regulatory agencies including Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD), Dept of Toxic Substance Control (DTSC), County Hazardous Materials Management program, City Regulatory Authorities.
- Demonstrates an ability to manage time and work on projects of moderate complexity.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize, evaluate, and recommend controls for workplace hazards.
- Technical and practical knowledge of biotechnology and/or research and development is highly recommended, or a willingness to quickly become proficient is required.
- The ability to effectively shift priorities and work at a rapid pace is required.
Due to the higher threat of more infectious and deadly COVID-19 variant strains emerging, Bio-Rad has a mandatory vaccination policy requiring its US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. New hires will be asked to upload their vaccination card into our electronic database hosted by ClearPass, who specializes in securing electronic medical information, within 3 days of their start date. With this policy, Bio-Rad joins a growing list of companies that are prioritizing sound science and available facts to best ensure the ongoing safety of its employees and the community.
Bio-Rad is a global leader providing a broad array of clinical diagnostics and life science research products. With a team of more than 8,000 employees and a global network of operations serving our customers, we help people live longer, healthier lives.
Bio-Rad was founded over six decades ago and has continued to provide the healthcare industry with innovative and useful products that help life science researchers accelerate the discovery process and medical diagnostic labs obtain faster, better results.
Bio-Rad does not accept agency resumes, unless the agency has been authorized by a Bio-Rad Recruiting Representative. Please do not submit resumes unless authorized to do so. Bio-Rad will not pay for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. #LI-TWAZ