Job title: Weatherization Technician
Reports to: Weatherization Operations Manager
FSLA Status: Non-Exempt
Weatherization technicians perform building maintenance and repair work, assist with the completion of construction projects, and maintain neat and accurate work documentation. This job class exercises responsibility for performing a wide variety of maintenance, repair, diagnostic testing and construction tasks at the semiskilled and skilled level.
Weatherization Technicians will communicate and educate our clients about work scopes and weatherization measures installed. This individual will be responsible for meeting Spectrum’s core values of safety, quality, efficiency, documentation, customer satisfaction and compliance.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, safe and proper completion of a wide variety of maintenance, repair, and construction projects as listed below:
- Building maintenance and repairs, and installation of energy conservation measures.
- Weather-stripping of doors and windows.
- Installation of attic and sub-floor insulation.
- Window and door repair and replacement.
- Appliance installation.
- Diagnostic testing of building shell and ducts.
- Installation of lighting and water reduction measures.
- Safe operation of hand tools, power tools, vehicles and diagnostic equipment.
- Clean and maintain shop, office and vehicles as required.
- Thorough, accurate and timely documentation of all work.
- Legible, accurate and detailed paperwork.
- Educate our clients on measures installed and diagnostic test results.
The minimum qualifications, physical demands and work environment characteristics described below are representative of those that must be met or will be encountered by an employee while performing the primary responsibilities of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary responsibilities.
High School Diploma or equivalent.
Residential construction experience required.
Minimum of entry level familiarity with hand and power tool use.
Cooperative and willing to assist others.
Excellent reading and writing skills, ability to communicate in writing to others.
Attention to detail.
Valid CA driver’s license Class C with record acceptable to our insurance carrier.
Must be able to read, speak and write English fluently.
Ability to follow verbal and written instructions in English.
Proficient computer skills: email, mobile applications, photos, etc.
- Bilingual preferred (Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Farsi, other).
- Weatherization Certifications desired: CAS, Duct Blast/Blower Door and Basic Weatherization.
- Excellent customer service skills and experience working with the public in diverse communities.
- Experience with weatherization measures and energy efficient technologies.
- Must be able to work on rooftops and heights greater than 6 feet.
- This work requires the following physical activities: climbing, bending, stooping, kneeling, twisting, reaching, sitting, standing, walking, lifting up to 75 lbs.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to climb stairs and/or ladders, and crawl in tight spaces and attic spaces.
- Requires finger dexterity for power tool usage (skill saw); grasping and repetitive motions; writing and keyboard skills.
- Requires speaking, hearing, visual acuity, and mobility.
- Fingernails are to be kept short. No false nails allowed.
- Hair must be kept away from tools and face.
- Any jewelry must not interfere with the performance of work.
- Required uniform and safety boots. An annual allowance is provided.
- The work is performed indoors/outdoors: while performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to work near moving motor vehicles and to risk of electrical shock.
- Work environment is inside clients homes and will involve interaction with client family members and other residents.
- This work is performed indoors and outdoors.
- The work performed outdoors is exposed to other motor vehicles.
- Able to withstand extreme temperatures, hot and cold.
- The noise level may be loud at times due to use of equipment.
- Strive for improvement in self and for Spectrum; make recommendations for improvements.
- Respond timely to requests for information, service and assistance.
- Demonstrate a positive and productive attitude; have an open mind and be objective, trustworthy, honest and ethical.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Use and conserve organizational resources efficiently and effectively.
- Prioritize and plan work activities.
- Demonstrate consistency, reliability, accuracy and thoroughness.
- Show respect and sensitivity toward cultural differences.
- Promote a harassment and discrimination free environment.
- Follow or exceed organizational standards.
- Adhere to company policy and procedure; support Spectrum’s goals and values.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.