THIS POSITION IS SHORT TERM, MAX 1000 HOURS PER CALENDAR YEAR
North Wind Services, is actively seeking individuals who can contribute to national security within the science, technology, and engineering fields as part of our supplemental labor team at vital federal research and development installations supporting the Department of Energy. NWS has an established history of contributing to the success of their customers mission. Available employment opportunities may range from administrative and logistical support to advanced technical positions.
Qualified applicants must be a US citizen, at least 18 years of age, and able to meet pre-employment requirements including any required physicals, drug screen, and/or background investigation to satisfy clearance requirements from the Department of Energy.
Successful candidates will be employees of NWS, a premier government contractor charged with employing highly-motivated and well-qualified personnel who can advance the missions of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, CA. Though employed by NWS, the employee will take day-to-day direction from technical personnel employed directly by the research laboratories. Pay, benefits, Human Resource, and Employment Management functions are provided by NWS.
The Design Physics Division within the Weapons and Complex Integration Directorate (WCI) has an opening for a physicist with a background in fields such as plasma physics, radiation transport, atomic physics, nuclear physics, or hydrodynamics. Our national-security mission encompasses aspects of computational, theoretical, and experimental physics associated with the complex processes of nuclear explosives. Under limited direction, the successful candidate will be responsible for advancing our understanding and developing methodologies for important national-security challenges.
This position may require the successful candidate have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and or weekends to accomplish goals. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
- Independently develop, assess and provide in depth analysis of the complex physics interactions that take place in nuclear explosion where problems may not be well defined.
- Design and provide analysis of experiments exploring the physics of nuclear explosives.
- Simulate weapons phenomena and perform weapons assessment and certification tasks using physical models in computer codes.
- Define and implement stockpile stewardship for specific weapons systems.
- Develop expertise in interrelated fields of physics important to weapons assessment and certification.
- Work as technical expert on multidisciplinary team.
- Guide the analysis and lead the design of experiments exploring the physics of nuclear explosives.
- Travel minimally or substantially based on needs of projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- PhD in physics, engineering, or a related field or equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge.
- Demonstrated record of leading top quality research in relevant areas of physics and engineering.
- Experience with computer-based design and analysis of experiments.
- Demonstrated aptitude for mastering new fields of physics; a record of creativity, physical insight, and breadth of understanding in applications of complex physical processes.
- Experience in using advanced computational facilities for applied physics analysis and conducting applied physics research.
- Proficient verbal and written communication and presentation skills necessary to author technical and scientific reports, publications, invited papers, and to deliver scientific presentations.
- Significant experience and ability to lead independent work conducting applied physics research.
- Demonstrated self-motivation and initiative in addressing challenging problems.
- Advanced knowledge of physics, engineering, or a related field.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-employment drug test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Subcontractor.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave, and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline 1-208-528-8714.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.