The Community Services Department plays a key role in enhancing the community and ensuring the citizens of Fremont receive excellent customer service through the management of recreation facilities, quality recreation and environmental programs, park planning and the maintenance of City parks, trees, and medians. The Park Ranger Supervisor will provide full supervision of the Park Rangers, regular, seasonal and temporary employees, and volunteers. In addition, the incumbent will participate as needed in the work of the Park Rangers and establish, enforce, and maintain oversight of the boating operations, naturalist programs, and the division safety program.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
• Schedule, assign work, and exercise full supervision of assigned regular, seasonal and temporary employees and volunteers.
• Participate in the recruitment, examination, and hiring process; evaluate and discipline assigned staﬀ.
• Prepare written and oral reports.
• Reserve, schedule and coordinate maintenance of assigned facilities and vehicles.
• Assist, under general direction, in developing and writing policies and handbooks and training guidelines for area of responsibility.
• Follow general direction to oversee division budget, boating operations and safety related areas.
• Develop and monitor assigned budgets.
• Develop and provide technical training in laws, rules, regulations, processes and procedures related to the administration of City parks.
• Review and provide solutions to technical issues and problems.
• Monitor individual performance plans and reports the more diﬃcult personnel issues to the Recreation
• Superintendent for resolution.
• Assume lead role on projects and programs. Represent the Parks and Recreation division on city‐wide teams.
• Perform Park Ranger duties; operate a patrol boat; patrol boat docks; patrol city parks when needed.
• Define personnel resource needs and allocate resources as required to reach unit objectives.
• Maintain oversight of assigned building alarms and ensure required security checks and inspections are completed following general direction.
• Receive and respond to phone calls; dispatch calls for service; detect municipal and other code violations in the area of park visitor services; investigate complaints, crimes and injury incidents; collect evidence and obtain statements; issue citations for Fremont Municipal codes and State laws. Testify in court proceedings.
• Administer emergency life support services.
• Work weekends, holidays, and nights, on rotating shifts when needed.
• Respond to emergency assignments during oﬀ‐duty hours.
• Wear a uniform and on occasion use pepper spray and/or bite stick.
• Review, edit, and approve participant injury and criminal incident reports prepared by division staﬀ.
• Supervise the operations of all park activities.
• Serve as a liaison and departmental representative with other City Departments.
• Develop and has oversight of interpretative programs.
• Identify species and behavior of a variety of native wildlife and plants.
• Other related duties as assigned.
The City is searching for an independent and eﬀective leader who is able to multi‐task in a fast‐paced work environment. The successful candidate will be well versed and have a genuine interest in environmental education, park safety, boating, recreation programming, customer service, facility operations, and teamwork. The Park Ranger Supervisor must demonstrate the ability to communicate eﬀectively orally and in writing, while maintaining eﬀective working relationships with co‐workers and public in a challenging environment, tactfully enforcing City and department policies, rules and laws.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Any combination of education and/or experience that has provided the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for satisfactory job performance would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge, skills and abilities would be: Bachelor’s degree and two years progressively responsible experience in park visitor management or in the interpretation and enforcement of laws and codes, preferably related to park visitor management.
Possession of a valid Class C California Driver’s license and satisfactory driving record is required at time of appointment. Possession of valid certificates in Red Cross Standard First Aid and Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer or equivalents are required at time of appointment. Higher level certifications may be submitted in substitution. A valid certificate in Penal Code Section 832 must be secured and maintained prior to completion of the probationary period.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The annual salary is $85,413 ‐ $103,813 depending on qualifications. Fremont offers an attractive benefits package, which includes, but is not limited to: CalPERS retirement plan, paid holidays, medical, dental and other city paid benefits. A complete benefits summary can be found at Fremont.gov or by using this link: Benefits Summary.
This is a City of Fremont Employee Association (CFEA) represented position with a probationary period of twelve (12) months.
Tentative Recruitment Schedule
Application Review: Noon, February 18, 2020
Oral Board Interviews: Week of March 2, 2020
Departmental Interviews: Week of March 9, 2020
HOW TO JOIN OUR TEAM
To be considered for this position, apply online by submitting a completed City application and resume through our on line application system: www.fremont.gov/cityjobs
The process may include individual and/or panel interviews, reference checks, fingerprint check, medical evaluation, and other related components. Only those candidates who have the best combination of qualifications in relation to the requirements and duties of the position will continue in the selection process.
Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an invitation to participate in the process.
Human Resources will make reasonable eﬀorts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities.
Please advise Human Resources of any special needs a minimum of 5 days in advance of the selection process by calling (510) 494‐4660.
The City of Fremont is an Equal Opportunity Employer.