Dublin, CA 94568
The Chabot College Community
Chabot College is committed to educational equity in its academic programs and college services so that students may achieve their personal, educational, and career goals. Our equity work today builds upon a strong history: the Puente and Umoja (formerly Daraja) learning communities, now models which have been replicated across the state, were created at Chabot College. These programs have paved the way for a series of additional educational and student support programs intentionally focused on equity that thrive at Chabot College today. Chabot College is located in Hayward, California, the third most diverse city in the United States. We serve a highly diverse student population and are proud to be designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution. Information about the demographics of our campus community can be found here (http://www.chabotcollege.edu/ir/).
Serving our diverse community requires a culturally-responsive approach that recognizes the myriad strengths and assets that our students bring to the campus community. We do so by promoting a classroom and co-curricular learning environment that is inclusive, collaborative, engaging, and challenging, and where respect, dignity, and integrity are core values. We see students as producers of knowledge, not just consumers of knowledge. We work to reframe inequities as a problem of practice, and view the elimination of inequities as an individual and institutional responsibility.
Joining Our College Community
We seek equity-minded applicants who demonstrate they understand the benefits diversity brings to an educational community. We look for applicants who:
1. Accept their shared role and responsibility in addressing opportunity and achievement gaps experienced by students
2. Value and intentionally promote diversity and consciousness of difference
3. Empower the underrepresented and underserved
4. Demonstrate cultural competence and cultural humility
5. Have experience and success in closing student equity gaps and engaging in equitable practices, or are knowledgeable and enthusiastic about implementing practices that achieve these goals
6. Believe that all people have the right to an education and work environment free from fear, harassment, or discrimination
7. Are dedicated to addressing issues of social justice
8. Actively seek to disrupt institutional and/or systemic barriers that adversely impact historically marginalized communities
9. Foster students’ potential to become global citizens and socially responsible leaders
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District is seeking an Outreach Specialist for Chabot College in Hayward, California.
Under general supervision, provide assistance in the coordination of student outreach activities to high schools, businesses, and local communities; deliver oral presentations to community and high school groups; and provide individual assistance for recruitment purposes.
This position is grant or categorically funded. Continuation of this position is contingent upon available funding on a year to year basis.