Bio-Rad is looking for an enthusiastic Optical-Fluidic Engineering Manager to support its global organization. You will be leading a key part of the innovative Mechanical Engineering Team developing complex solutions for the Next Generation ddPCR instrument systems.
We need a mechanical engineering leader who gets excited about pushing the boundaries of medical diagnostics, is highly analytical, and sees the big picture needed to evolve a concept into an instrument. Are you a proven hands-on leader that understands the full life-cycle from concept to manufacturing and is passionate about transforming ideas into products? Does the idea of developing a team to engineer a break-through instrument platform that provides the cancer and research community with revolutionary opportunities excite you?
You will report directly to the Head of Mechanical Engineering and be part of a larger multi-disciplinary R&D team. Come join us and be a key player in our next innovative instrument. You will work with engineers, chemists, and molecular biologists to develop integrated optical and fluidic systems (including droplet-based digital PCR). This work will span from the research stage through product launch. At our Pleasanton R&D center, you can have big company impact while working at a small, nimble and dynamic site.
How will you make an impact?
You will lead the growing opto-fluidic design team in the development and documentation of digital biology products developed in an R&D environment. Interfacing with cross functional teams, your group will be developing instrument systems from concept through detailed design, manufacturing release, instrument verification, and product launch.
This position is eligible for a $5,000 HIRING BONUS:
- Bonus offered for a limited time only.
- Bonus applicable to specific positions as labeled.
- Bonus recipients must be employed at the time of payout.
- Bonus payout after 30 days of employment with Bio-Rad.
- Bonus offered to direct hires only. Agency hires and internal transfers are not eligible.
- 12 months repayment clause.
- Collaborate among multidisciplinary teams to develop optical and imaging solutions which enable next generation microfluidic instruments.
- Review and analyze product requirements, articulate and document opto-fluidic system requirements and functions. Participate in efforts relating to mechanical requirements definition, and functional decomposition, opto-fluidic system architecture definition, modeling, and compliance including verification plans and reports.
- Oversee the development of optical and fluidic solutions with the team designing components, creating assemblies, procuring parts, and authoring assembly instructions. Verify optical / fluidic modeling and analysis of components and systems.
- Coach the team to exercise independent judgment in developing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria.
- Guide the assembly and testing of engineering prototypes alongside a diverse R&D team to validate research and correlate mechanical models.
- Perform root-cause investigations on systems and components to correct problems, improve product quality and reliability.
- Develop templates and hone processes to generate and release formal engineering documentation (part and assembly drawings, installation instructions, test reports, etc.) to support the development and manufacture of world class medical instruments.
- Collaborate with downstream partners to incorporate the considerations associated with Design for Reliability (DFR), Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Design to Cost (DTC), and Design for Service (DFS).
- Ensure high work quality and timely deliverables while providing feedback across the organization.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, MS desirable.
- Minimum of 8 years of professional experience required.
- Minimum of 3 years of supervisory or project leader experience required.
- Detail oriented personality with a passion for mechanical design, able to articulate ideas through solid documentation and reporting skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication abilities.
- Demonstrated application of mechanical principles and theories to develop cost-effective, reliable and high quality systems – machine shop, injection molding and/or electro-mechanical assembly experience a must.
- Proficiency with solid modeling packages (ie. Solidworks, Pro/ENGINEER, etc.) and business productivity tools (PLM, PDM, ERP).
- Demonstrated ability with structural hand calculations and simulation software.
- Industry experience in drafting and demonstrated GD&T understanding.
- Training in Design for Excellence principals preferred.
Due to the higher threat of more infectious and deadly COVID-19 variant strains emerging, Bio-Rad has a mandatory vaccination policy requiring its US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. New hires will be asked to upload their vaccination card into our electronic database hosted by ClearPass, who specializes in securing electronic medical information, within 3 days of their start date. With this policy, Bio-Rad joins a growing list of companies that are prioritizing sound science and available facts to best ensure the ongoing safety of its employees and the community.
Bio-Rad is a global leader providing a broad array of clinical diagnostics and life science research products. With a team of more than 8,000 employees and a global network of operations serving our customers, we help people live longer, healthier lives.
Bio-Rad was founded over six decades ago and has continued to provide the healthcare industry with innovative and useful products that help life science researchers accelerate the discovery process and medical diagnostic labs obtain faster, better results.
Bio-Rad does not accept agency resumes, unless the agency has been authorized by a Bio-Rad Recruiting Representative. Please do not submit resumes unless authorized to do so. Bio-Rad will not pay for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.