THIS POSITION IS SHORT TERM, MAX 1000 HOURS IN A CALENDAR YEAR
North Wind Services is actively seeking individuals who can contribute to national security within the science, technology, and engineering fields as part of our supplemental labor team at vital federal research and development installations supporting the Department of Energy. NWS has an established history of contributing to the success of their customer’s mission. Available employment opportunities may range from administrative and logistical support to advanced technical positions.
Qualified applicants must be a US citizen, at least 18 years of age, and able to meet pre-employment requirements including any required physicals, drug screen, and/or background investigation to satisfy clearance requirements from the Department of Energy.
Successful candidates will be employees of NWS, a premier government contractor charged with employing highly motivated and well-qualified personnel who can advance the missions of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, CA. Though employed by NWS, the employee will take day-to-day direction from technical personnel employed directly by the research laboratories. Pay, benefits, Human Resource, and Employment Management functions are provided by NWS.
The Mechanical Utilities Division has an opening for a Mechanical Utilities Systems Engineer. The successful candidate will be responsible for analysis of aging systems and the development of engineering strategy for operational efficiency and modernization of systems. Additionally, the successful candidate will be responsible for equipment- system documentation and provide advice on the development of process procedures for the operation of the mechanical utilities associated with LLNL’s two sites. The site’s mechanical utilities consist of over two hundred miles of underground mains and associated equipment. These utilities consist of domestic water, low conductivity water (condenser water), natural gas, compressed air, demineralized water, sanitary sewer, and associated equipment and controls. Equipment in these systems include cooling towers, pumps, heat exchangers, compressors, ion exchange plants, RO units, drives, etc. This position may require working at either or both Site 200 in Livermore, California and Site 300 in Tracy, California.
This position may require the successful candidate have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and or weekends to accomplish goals. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
- Provide independent engineering support and operational solutions to resolve complex operational, maintenance, refurbishment, and reliability issues, plus perform root cause analysis of equipment and system failures.
- Perform engineering calculations, pipe sizing, pump head requirement, NPSH, pump sizing / selection, pump horsepower, motor sizing, centrifugal pump performance analysis, mass balance analysis, and energy transfer analysis associated with cooling towers and heat exchangers.
- Lead multiple complex internal mechanical projects; provide assistance with development and compliance with technical criteria, budgets, schedules, and deliverables, and direct the work of mechanical designers and drafters preparing models and drawings prepared in AutoCAD for projects.
- Provide guidance for the goals of Integrated Safety Management, Environmental Management, and compliance with all ES&H regulations, good business practices, diversity, and equal opportunity.
- Prepare technical presentations for management, programmatic clients, O&B senior management, and DOE/NNSA Livermore Field Office / Headquarters (will not represent LLNS). Advise clients regarding system integrity, refurbishment needs, feasibility, manpower requirements, and best operating practices.
- Participate in design reviews to obtain approvals of project scope and designs.
- Provide subject matter expertise in the design, maintenance, and operation of centralized mechanical utilities (domestic water, low conductivity water (centralized condenser water system), natural gas, compressed air, demineralized water, and sanitary sewer.
- Develop and deliver technical presentations to programmatic clients, O&B senior management, and DOE/NNSA Livermore Field Office / Headquarters, plus be able to field any associated questions.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Performed other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Marine engineering, or related technical field from an ABET accredited college or the equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of California or registration from another state with the ability to obtain licensure in California.
- Significant experience and advanced knowledge in the design, maintenance, and operation of centralized mechanical utilities (domestic water, low conductivity water (centralized condenser water system), natural gas, compressed air, demineralized water, and sanitary sewer.
- Advanced knowledge of P&IDs, process instrumentations, Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC), ladder diagrams, motor control wiring diagram, and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA).
- Experience in project management, utilizing organizational and advanced critical thinking and decision-making skills with ability to solve complex technical problems, as well as handle multiple highly complex issues in a demanding environment with conflicting priorities, changing deadlines, and frequent interruptions.
- Significant experience generating correspondence, reports, calculations, and presentations using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other applicable software, along with experience with AutoCAD in the preparation of working drawings.
- Significant knowledge and experience with Bentley WaterCAD hydraulic modeling software.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical or operational information and provide advice to management, regulators, reviewers, and stakeholders.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Subject matter expertise and substantial experience in a mechanical utilities’ environment in an operational support role, exclusive of design work.
- Significant operational experience with under-ground utilities.
- Significant experience forecasting system needs in a multi-year refurbishment environment.
- Proven ability to build plans based on partial funding in multiple years progressing towards a final vision.
- Knowledge of Facilities & Infrastructure organization, policy, and procedures.
- Experience developing, monitoring, and reporting performance metrics.
- Experience with cathodic protection.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-employment drug test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave, and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline 1-208-528-8714 for assistance.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion, or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.