North Wind Services, is actively seeking individuals who can contribute to national security within the science, technology, and engineering fields as part of our supplemental labor team at vital federal research and development installations supporting the Department of Energy. NWS has an established history of contributing to the success of their customers mission. Available employment opportunities may range from administrative and logistical support to advanced technical positions.
Qualified applicants must be a US citizen, at least 18 years of age, and able to meet pre-employment requirements including any required physicals, drug screen, and/or background investigation to satisfy clearance requirements from the Department of Energy.
Successful candidates will be employees of NWS, a premier government contractor charged with employing highly-motivated and well-qualified personnel who can advance the missions of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, CA. Though employed by NWS, the employee will take day-to-day direction from technical personnel employed directly by the research laboratories. Pay, benefits, Human Resource, and Employment Management functions are provided by NWS.
The Materials Engineering Division (MED) Manufacturing Engineering Section (MES), has an opening for an experience Mechanical Inspector to support the B321C Inspection Facility. Under minimal supervision, the successful candidate will provide advanced level inspection related procedures, techniques, and standards (Quality Assurance and ASME Y14.5 Dimensioning and Tolerancing). Set-up and utilize a variety of measuring tools, gages, and inspection data acquisition equipment. The successful candidate will be assigned to the B321 Manufacturing team. This position requires close interactions with technical and supervisory personnel. The successful candidate will report to the B321 Dimensional Inspection Supervisor.
This position may require the successful candidate have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and or weekends to accomplish goals. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
- Set up and utilize a variety of advanced inspection practices, setups and computerized data acquisition equipment, inspection processes, machine controllers and operation.
- Identify, analyze, and resolve routine inspection challenges and recommend solutions for moderate to complex technical problems.
- Provide inspection and quality assurance related document and evaluate the measured data for parts and assemblies.
- Provide clear and professional communication to customers including basic analysis and interpretation of inspection data.
- Consistently apply sound quality control methods in a professional and efficient way.
- Make decisions on proper ways to set up parts in the coordination of measuring machines, and seek supervisor input as necessary.
- Provide limited technical guidance on the shop floor to assure that productivity and quality standards are maintained.
- May provide guidance to others in specific inspection practices, set-ups, and computerized data acquisitions equipment.
- Maintain close interaction with MED supervision regarding workflow, customer relations, job progress, and facility or equipment issues.
- Compliance with established ES&H regulations and procedures, assuring that all work assignments are performed with due consideration to safety, security and environmental impacts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Advanced journey level experience equivalent to completion of an apprenticeship program in the machinist/inspector trade.
- Advanced technical skills, knowledge, and experience in precision inspection related procedures, standards, and techniques on a wide variety of precision inspection equipment (Quality Assurance and ASME Y14.5 Dimensioning and Tolerancing).
- Experience in CAD/CAM programming.
- Experience programming and operating Coordinate Measuring Machines (CMM’s).
- Experience using PC data file management (e.g., Excel, ASCII, DMIS, IGES, VDA, STL).
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in close cooperation with inspection and engineering personnel.
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills necessary to communicate tactfully and effectively in a technical environment.
- Understanding of inspection and metrology related methods, QA standards, tools, and equipment including computerized controllers and related technology.
- Knowledge and understanding of shop-related mathematics and blueprint reading skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of safety awareness and safe working practices.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks at the same time.
- Strong customer and personnel interaction/communication skills.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently in a team environment and in close cooperation with MED team members, engineering, and facility support personnel.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Associates degree in Mechanical Technology or 5 plus years’ experience in mechanical inspection with precision mechanical measuring methods
- Experience with Machine Tool Metrology.
- Experience handling classified documents, parts and related security systems and procedures.
- Experience with creating work orders in the COSMOS job entry system.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully provide planning, estimating, scheduling and assignment of work.
- Experience consistently making independent decisions regarding variable technical and administrative problems.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-employment drug test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave, and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline 1-208-528-8714 for assistance.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.