North Wind Services, is actively seeking individuals who can contribute to national security within the science, technology, and engineering fields as part of our supplemental labor team at vital federal research and development installations supporting the Department of Energy. NWS has an established history of contributing to the success of their customers mission. Available employment opportunities may range from administrative and logistical support to advanced technical positions.
Qualified applicants must be a US citizen, at least 18 years of age, and able to meet pre-employment requirements including any required physicals, drug screen, and/or background investigation to satisfy clearance requirements from the Department of Energy.
Successful candidates will be employees of NWS, a premier government contractor charged with employing highly-motivated and well-qualified personnel who can advance the missions of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, CA. Though employed by NWS, the employee will take day-to-day direction from technical personnel employed directly by the research laboratories. Pay, benefits, Human Resource, and Employment Management functions are provided by NWS.
The National Security Engineering Division (NSED) within the Engineering Directorate has multiple openings for a Mechanical Engineer to support the Advanced Sources and Detectors (ASD) project. The ASD project is a multi-year, multi-lab project to design and commission the next generation of radiographic capabilities for use in ensuring the safety and effectiveness of the nation’s nuclear stockpile. This position will report to the LLNL Senior Team Lead and work with the Technical Lead/System Owner supporting the injector system Control Account(s) providing engineering for new systems and upgrades to existing hardware.
This position may require the employee to have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and/or weekends to accomplish goals. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
- Derive engineering requirements, develop conceptual designs, and perform supporting analyses of mechanical systems, test prototypes, and associated diagnostics.
- Oversee the detail design process, component part fabrication, and unit assembly.
- Prepare supporting safety and engineering procedure documentation and participate in engineering design reviews.
- Participate in engineering testing operations, analyze results, and write reports.
- Generate detailed plans, schedules, and budgets for project activities.
- Interface with other organizations internal and external to the Laboratory to complete various projects.
- Work independently as well as a part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Provide engineering solutions to resolve moderately complex technical and programmatic issues.
- Perform independent technical analysis to provide solutions for a diverse range of moderate to complex issues.
- Select methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria to obtain results based on analysis of multiple, largely identifiable factors.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and prior relevant experience.
- Proficient verbal and written procedures experience.
- Experience working effectively with electromagnets, thermal simulations, tolerance stack-up calculations in a team environment.
- Fundamental knowledge of and/or experience with design principles, material properties and manufacturing methods.
- Knowledge of engineering hardware design, fabrication, or testing processes and ability to meet schedule and deliverables for multiple concurrent projects with a range of priorities.
- Working knowledge of 3D CAD modeling of design concepts using PTC Creo 3.
- Proficient MS Suite software skills.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-employment drug test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave, and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline 1-208-528-8714 for assistance.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.