North Wind Services, is actively seeking individuals who can contribute to national security within the science, technology, and engineering fields as part of our supplemental labor team at vital federal research and development installations supporting the Department of Energy. NWS has an established history of contributing to the success of their customer’s mission. Available employment opportunities may range from administrative and logistical support to advanced technical positions.
Qualified applicants must be a US citizen, at least 18 years of age, and able to meet pre-employment requirements including any required physicals, drug screen, and/or background investigation to satisfy clearance requirements from the Department of Energy.
Successful candidates will be employees of NWS, a premier government contractor charged with employing highly motivated and well-qualified personnel who can advance the missions of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, CA. Though employed by NWS, the employee will take day-to-day direction from technical personnel employed directly by the Lawrence Livermore Nation Laboratory employee. The responsibility of pay, benefits, Human Resource, and employment management functions are provided by NWS.
The National Ignition Facility (NIF) and Photon Science Directorate has multiple openings for qualified Mechanical Design Engineers. Applicants must possess a passion and enthusiasm for mechanical engineering; one that is looking for a challenge to “think out of the box” and have the skills to forecast needed changes to continue high achievement and excellence. Successful candidates must have high ability in past engineering projects and positions, being able to demonstrate from conception to completion of large scale or complex projects. This requires a versatile, broad-based Mechanical Design Engineer capable of developing, individually or with other Mechanical Engineers and Engineers of various disciplines to provide: 1) novel and innovative designs, 2) exacting specifications, 3) processes and procedures for the installation and commissioning of the hardware, 4) interactions with vendors and finally 5) integration of the hardware in complex systems. The successful candidate will work within the NIF and Photon Science Engineering Design group. This unique group requires the flexibility and openness to move within the design group to where their skills will be needed most. Because of the vast and varying types of experience required by each program, this position will require the Mechanical Design Engineer to have the ability to be flexible, working within various NIF departments that require design assistance. NIF & PS program will provide the successful candidate an opportunity to be part of an elite team in advancing forward into the future of lasers and advanced science and physics.
This position may require the successful candidate to have the flexibility to work overtime to accomplish goals. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
The successful candidate is required to present a presentation that demonstrate the following essential and required duties and skills, knowledge and abilities. This presentation is required at the time of the interview.
- Perform development, concept, and completion of detailed designs of hardware for, laser, optics, mechanical and diagnostic applications.
- Apply advanced knowledge of 3D CAD modeling of design concepts using PTC Creo Parametric.
- Develop assembly and detailed fabrication specification drawings and documentation for all designs.
- Perform interference and tolerance stack-up analyses to validate form, fit, function and cost optimization of each design.
- Apply basic stress/strain analyses to substantiate sizing and material decisions of all components
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- AS degree, or equivalent with applicable experience in the mechanical engineering field.
- Working knowledge of developing design concepts with a broad background in its various sub-disciplines – mechanical, optical, and electrical.
- Experience within the scope of conception, design, fabrication and materials, prototyping projects from start to finish.
- Must have the ability and attitude to develop a project from start to finish.
- Demonstrated ability to produce and analyze tolerance stack-ups.
- Extensive working knowledge of parametric solid modeling.
- Experience creating fabrication drawings that utilize Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (ASME Y14.5).
- Experience creating assembly drawings that show assembly and design intent.
- Experience working as a member of a project team with engineers, scientists, designers, technicians, and coordinators.
- Ability to present concepts and ideas in a clear and coherent manner both verbal and written to peers and managers in presentation form and report form, to small and large groups as needed and required.
- Ability to independently solve problems and achieve results on schedule
- Skills in Microsoft software such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.
- Must be able to meet pre-employment requirements consisting of a physical, drug screen and background investigation under clearance requirements from the Department of Energy.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Applied experience with the Creo Parametric / Creo Simulate
- Applied experience with PTC Windchill PDM system creating ECR and ECN’s
- Experience in reviewing and verifying the accuracy of work performed by peers and other engineering disciplines as needed
- Perform structural and/or thermal analyses to prove technical basis of proposed design to define materials, calculations for stress and strain and the materials required
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-employment drug test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Subcontractor.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave, and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline 1-208-528-8714 for assistance.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion, or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.