North Wind Services, is actively seeking individuals who can contribute to national security within the science, technology, and engineering fields as part of our supplemental labor team at vital federal research and development installations supporting the Department of Energy. NWS has an established history of contributing to the success of their customers mission. Available employment opportunities may range from administrative and logistical support to advanced technical positions.
Qualified applicants must be a US citizen, at least 18 years of age, and able to meet pre-employment requirements including any required physicals, drug screen, and/or background investigation to satisfy clearance requirements from the Department of Energy.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
NWS demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an exemption, and associated accommodations if deemed available and reasonable, under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
Successful candidates will be employees of NWS, a premier government contractor charged with employing highly-motivated and well-qualified personnel who can advance the missions of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, CA. Though employed by NWS, the employee will take day-to-day direction from technical personnel employed directly by the research laboratories. Pay, benefits, Human Resource, and Employment Management functions are provided by NWS.
The Manufacturing Engineering Section in the Materials Engineering Division (MED) has openings for Machinists. Under minimal supervision with general direction, provides fully experienced journeyman level manufacturing support and applies intermediate to advanced technical knowledge of machine parts and assemblies. The successful candidates will be assigned to MED’s Manufacturing Engineering Section with the shop assignment to be made after hire. The successful candidates will be placed on a swing shift rotation list with 18 week assignments on-and-off swing shift may be required. This position requires close technical interactions with shop planners and supervision as well as customers. The successful candidates will report to the assigned Shop Supervisor.
This position may require the successful candidate have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and or weekends to accomplish goals. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
- Set up and operate all conventional and most precision and CNC machine tools to fabricate parts in a wide variety of materials, including some difficult-to-machine and exotic materials.
- Fabricate difficult to machine and exotic hardware, requiring advanced machining skills.
- Utilize advance knowledge of material characteristics to determine the optimum speeds, feeds, and depth of cuts to achieve engineering drawing or sketch requirements.
- Document new processes related to new or special operations.
- Operate related shop equipment, hand tools, and measuring instruments.
- Identify, analyze, and resolve routine manufacturing difficulties and recommend solutions for moderately complex problems.
- Maintains cleanliness of the work area and ensures proper handling of tools, equipment, and stock to prevent loss.
- Utilizes Work Orders, blueprints, sketches, written and verbal instructions to determine machining process, procedures, tooling and fixtures requirements.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, Security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Program jobs for CNC Machining and perform job planning and or estimating functions.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Intermediate journey level experience equivalent to completion of a machine tool technology apprenticeship program and 4 plus year machinist experience.
- Experience using related shop equipment, hand tools, and measuring instruments.
- Intermediate level knowledge of ASME Y14.5M drafting standards (read and interpret blueprints) to produce parts and assemblies.
- Intermediate level knowledge in a wide variety of materials and manufacturing processes, including some difficult to machine and exotic materials.
- Intermediate to advance level knowledge of CNC programming and machining.
- Knowledge of quality and productive procedures.
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication and skills.
- Ability to perform standard shop computations.
- Ability to comply with Safety, ES&H, Security, and business management policies and regulations.
- Ability to become medically qualified to wear respiratory and protection equipment.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q clearance.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Working knowledge with the Mastercam CAD/CAM programming system.
- Familiarity with QA procedures and mechanical inspection processes
- Familiarity with LLNL manufacturing facilities and ES&H policies
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-employment drug test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Subcontractor.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave, and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline 1-208-528-8714 for assistance.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.