Machine Tool Repair - Mechanic Open - NWG 00060
Livermore, CA 94551
The Machine Tool Services Group in the Materials Engineering Division (MED) within the Engineering Directorate has multiple openings for Machine Repairers in the Mechanical Discipline. Under general supervision, the successful candidate will be responsible for installing, testing, repairing, maintaining, or modifying basic mechanical and hydraulic systems on machine tools and related equipment in support of LLNL programs. The successful candidates will be responsible for troubleshooting and repair, preventative and reactive maintenance of mechanical machine shop equipment. These positions require close interactions with technical and supervisory personnel throughout the Laboratory. The selected candidates may receive work assignments located at various locations, including Livermore and at Site 300. These positions will report to the Machine Tool Services Group Supervisor or Lead.
This position may require the successful candidate have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and or weekends to accomplish goals. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
- Design, fabricate, install, maintain, or modify mechanical and hydraulic systems to improve the operation, reliability, and/or safety of LLNL's machine tools.
- Diagnose mechanical problems and determine how to correct them, checking blueprints, repair manuals, and parts catalogs as necessary.
- Inspect, operate, and test machinery and equipment using a variety of machine tools to diagnose machine malfunctions, or to reproduce parts and determine need for adjustment or repair.
- Install and/or relocate machine tools and related equipment.
- Use hand and powered tools that are typically used to maintain machine tool mechanical and hydraulic systems, including diagnostic equipment (such as levels, straight edges, records, and ball bars).
- Solve fundamental problems.
- Verify conformance of repairs to specifications, using measuring and inspection tools as necessary.
- Maintain accurate legible records of maintenance work as required.
- Maintain machine tools in proper operational condition.
- Maintain cleanliness of the work area and ensures proper handling of tools, equipment, and stock to prevent loss.
- Coordinate and/or perform housekeeping and safety monitoring and ensure adequate follow-up, as required.
- Safely assist with other maintenance craft-work when needed.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.