North Wind Services, is actively seeking individuals who can contribute to national security within the science, technology, and engineering fields as part of our supplemental labor team at vital federal research and development installations supporting the Department of Energy. NWS has an established history of contributing to the success of their customers mission. Available employment opportunities may range from administrative and logistical support to advanced technical positions.
Qualified applicants must be a US citizen, at least 18 years of age, and able to meet pre-employment requirements including any required physicals, drug screen, and/or background investigation to satisfy clearance requirements from the Department of Energy.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
NWS demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an exemption, and associated accommodations if deemed available and reasonable, under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
Successful candidates will be employees of NWS, a premier government contractor charged with employing highly-motivated and well-qualified personnel who can advance the missions of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, CA. Though employed by NWS, the employee will take day-to-day direction from technical personnel employed directly by the research laboratories. Pay, benefits, Human Resource, and Employment Management functions are provided by NWS.
The Operations & Service Division of the Infrastructure Engineering & Operations Department has multiple openings for Gardeners. The successful candidates will perform landscaping maintenance and installation duties of a gardener at full proficiency level. This position could be assigned to work at the Livermore Site 200 or Site 300, an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Note: Employees assigned to work at the Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
This position may require the employee to have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and/or weekends to accomplish goals. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
- Perform site wide landscaping and landscaping maintenance.
- Assist in preparing and grading terrain to prepare seeding and sod.
- Dig irrigation trenches and assist in the installation and repair of irrigation systems to prevent drainage problems.
- Apply herbicide with hand tank sprayer.
- Maintain lawn areas by operating standard equipment of gardener tasks including mower, edger, line trimmer, blower, hedge trimmer, tractors, walk behind trencher, motor vehicles, and other equipment common to the gardener - landscape trade.
- Responsible and accountable for performing tasks in accordance with ES&H (Environmental, Safety, and Health) regulations, procedures, and business practice requirements and policies fulfilling all integrated safety, security, and property management responsibilities, as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent combination of education and work experience in landscape maintenance.
- Experience performing a variety of general to intermediate landscape maintenance duties; mowing, trimming, and pruning of lawns, shrubs, and trees.
- Demonstrated ability to operate all standard tools and equipment of gardener tasks, motor vehicles, and to use chemicals and fertilizers common to the trade and to spot spray weeds in the landscape.
- Ability to read and to understand various universal safety signs and ability to learn Laboratory-specific signs located in and around buildings when conducting various landscaping maintenance duties.
- Demonstrated customer service and communication skills and the ability to work independently or as a team member interacting well with others.
- Basic computer skills necessary to input timekeeping and complete web-based training.
- Must possess valid California driver license and ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds, and occasionally up to 80 pounds, in a safe and controlled manner.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Experience maintaining, troubleshooting, and repairing automatic and central irrigation systems.
- Experience and demonstrated ability to perform specialized tasks, including high tree pruning.
- Demonstrated ability to operate additional equipment of gardener tasks, including bike path sweeper, wood chippers, aerial platform equipment, tractors, and trenching equipment.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints in reference to landscaping and central irrigation systems.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-employment drug test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave, and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline 1-208-528-8714 for assistance.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.