Bio-Rad Laboratories advances scientific discovery and improves healthcare through its unique combination of people, products, and a strong focus on the success of our customers. Our products are used worldwide by researchers to gain a greater understanding of disease and by clinical laboratories to provide high-value diagnostic test results. We have developed a solid and well-earned reputation for quality and customer service among university and research institutions, hospitals, public health and commercial laboratories, as well as biotechnology, pharmaceutical, and food safety industries. The company complements its customer-centric approach with a stable work environment for its employees to succeed: for the last five years Bio-Rad has been named as one of the Bay Area’s “Best Places to Work.
We are looking for an experienced full stack software engineer who wants to improve their technical skills and join a team building a recently-launched web application that is transforming the way scientists make discoveries using Bio-Rad products. Our products are used to create new cancer, diabetes, and COVID-19 diagnostics and therapeutics. We offer an opportunity to work on all aspects of the product – front-end, back-end and infrastructure -- working in a small team with ownership from conception to release. We emphasize a collaborative team culture, in a stable company with good work life balance. We are rapidly developing a web application using the latest technologies. You will be collaborating with and mentoring other team members using best practices in security, scaling and agility.
How We Do Development:
- We believe that Development, SQA and Operations should work closely together and not "throw things over the wall"
- Developers, testers and operators are one in the same. We succeed together and we fail together
- We believe in automating everything. If you have to do it more than once, it's worth automating
- We take an iterative and incremental approach to our application and infrastructure
- The project is owned by the team, no piece is owned by one person, we all collaborate through swarming, code reviews, and other means to meet our goals
NOTE: This position is eligible to work remotely.
This position is eligible for a $10,000 HIRING BONUS:
- Bonus offered for a limited time only.
- Bonus applicable to specific positions as labeled.
- Bonus recipients must be employed at the time of payout.
- Bonus payout after 30 days of employment with Bio-Rad.
- Bonus offered to direct hires only. Agency hires and internal transfers are not eligible.
- 12 months repayment clause.
- Work within a team to plan, deploy, and maintain scientific applications.
- Design, develop, test, and release new features focusing on customer experience.
- Use Typescript, React and Redux to build an easy-to-use user experience.
- Implement and design APIs to support business needs.
- Engineer build, deployment and release management procedures.
- Monitor and support the production application.
- Automate the provisioning of AWS resources.
- Use and promote best implementation practices for security and data protection.
- Mentor other team members.
- Continuously improve the team development process by speaking up and being receptive to feedback.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related technology discipline or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of experience in web application development.
- Ability to translate functional requirements into technical designs.
- Ability to communicate with developers and product owners.
- Experience making technical decision and communicating the rationale behind the decision.
- Experience giving other developers feedback on code and technical designs.
- Ability and motivation to continuously learn new technologies and practices.
- Experience designing and implementing web APIs.
- Experience working with at least one infrastructure-as-code framework.
- Experience working with AWS services such as Lambda, DynamoDB, RDS, S3.
- Experience in Agile and DevOps environments.
- Proficient understanding of Git.
- Experience with automated testing frameworks and the ability to create full coverage test cases.
- Experience with modern cloud architectures (compute, storage, networking, containerization, microservices, lambda, NoSQL and SQL).
- Familiarity with cloud security: data protection, identity and access management, public key infrastructure.
- Comfortable in Linux/Unix command line.
- Passionate about writing clean, maintainable, well organized code.
- Nice to Have:
- Familiarity with NoSQL.
- Experience with AWS SDKs (aws-sdk, boto3).
- Familiarity with Redux and Immutable.
- Experience working on a customer-facing product.
Due to the higher threat of more infectious and deadly COVID-19 variant strains emerging, Bio-Rad has a mandatory vaccination policy requiring its US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. New hires will be asked to upload their vaccination card into our electronic database hosted by ClearPass, who specializes in securing electronic medical information, within 3 days of their start date. With this policy, Bio-Rad joins a growing list of companies that are prioritizing sound science and available facts to best ensure the ongoing safety of its employees and the community.
Bio-Rad is a global leader providing a broad array of clinical diagnostics and life science research products. With a team of more than 8,000 employees and a global network of operations serving our customers, we help people live longer, healthier lives.
Bio-Rad was founded over six decades ago and has continued to provide the healthcare industry with innovative and useful products that help life science researchers accelerate the discovery process and medical diagnostic labs obtain faster, better results.
Bio-Rad does not accept agency resumes, unless the agency has been authorized by a Bio-Rad Recruiting Representative. Please do not submit resumes unless authorized to do so. Bio-Rad will not pay for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.