Job Title: Environmental Health & Safety Specialist
Location: All HNI Facilities
FLSA Status: (to be assigned by Corporate HR): Exempt
We are a global leader in food & beverage ingredients. Pioneers at heart, we operate at the forefront of consumer trends to provide food & beverage manufacturers with products and ingredients that will delight their consumers. Making a positive impact on people and planet is all part of the delight. With a deep-rooted presence in the countries where our ingredients are grown, we are closer to farmers, enabling better quality, and more reliable, traceable, and transparent supply. Supplying products and ingredients at scale is just the start. We add value through our unique, complementary portfolio of natural, delicious, and nutritious products.
With our fresh thinking, we help our customers unleash the sensory and functional attributes of cocoa, coffee, dairy, nuts, and spices so they can create naturally good food & beverage products that meet consumer expectations. And whoever we’re with, whatever we’re doing, we always make it real.
Reporting to the Safety, Health & Sustainability Manager, the Safety Health, and Sustainability Specialist will partner with plant management to influence an efficient, sustainable safety and sustainability culture. They will develop and monitor the environmental, health and safety programs for multiple sites ensuring the organization is in compliance with local, state, and federal laws, regulations, and standards. They will work directly with team members, supervisors, and leadership to promote safety, health, and sustainability through best practice implementation.
The ideal candidate will be able to analyze complex plans and be able to identify mistakes and inefficiencies. They will work well leading teams and training employees. They should be approachable and outgoing with an ability to effectively communicate.
• Understand Federal and State (Cal-OSHA) occupational safety and health regulations and monitor regulatory changes as they occur or are notified by SHS Manager.
• Oversee and/or conduct employee monthly safety meetings at all facilities.
• Oversee SHS investigations for accident, incident, near-miss or employee inquiries, suggestions, and complaints. Make recommendations and oversee corrective action implementation.
• Respond to and provide support during work-related incidents.
• Partner with supervisors to facilitate incident investigations, identifies root cause to prevent recurrence, and tracks corrective action effectiveness for injuries
• Drives continuous improvement and closure to select health, safety, and industrial hygiene compliance gaps identified through corporate audits, internal audits, third party audits, and regulatory inspections
• Develops and implements effective team member training and education programs related to environmental, health and safety compliance and incident prevention.
• Performs safety program self-assessments, job hazard analyses, audits, and inspections for compliance with environmental, health and safety requirements
• Make recommendations on work safety standards and enforces procedures. Risk
prevention areas includes hazardous materials exposure, accidents, fires, or other unsafe conditions. Meet compliance and reporting requirements of federal or state regulations.
• Identify and evaluate hazardous conditions and practices in the workplace, determine employee exposure and develop corrective actions to institute safe work practices.
• Supports Plant Maintenance and Engineering to implement engineering controls and minimize safety and occupational hazards.
• Review processes operating procedures and provide input for safety and health considerations.
• Promotes safety and health awareness through internal company communications, newsletters, and specific training programs.
• Perform and lead monthly inspections of the facility, make recommendations on findings
• Oversee the on-site annual hearing tests and ensure proper tracking and documentation. In addition to other required medical evaluations for OSHA compliance.
• Assist in providing leaders knowledge and best practices to ensure a safe, hazard-free workplace
• Responsible for understanding and complying with applicable quality, environmental, safety, and health regulatory considerations. If accountable for the work of others, responsible for their understanding and compliance.
• Own the environmental calendar and ensure all tasks/permits/audits are executed timely
• Oversee the Workers Compensation and Employee Return to Work (RTW) Programs.
Partner with HR to oversee RTW steps.
• Monitor lost-time injuries/illnesses and participate in management of Worker’s Compensation Claims in conjunction with the HR dept.
• Engage and develop team members in SHS programs and safety culture.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree plus four (4) years of environmental, health, safety experience is required or High School diploma or state-issued equivalency certificate plus eight (8) years of environmental, health, safety experience reflecting increasing levels of responsibility.
• Bilingual, English, and Spanish, is required.
• Skilled in developing clear written communications, procedures, and instructions
• Ability to respond to incidents in off hours,
• Analyze, interpret, and present data to varying audiences
• Solid understanding of Cal OSHA and OSHA requirements
• Ability to Coach Culture Change teams/events
• Good organizational skills with an ability to effectively prioritize
• Ability to build effective relationships resulting in a safe workplace
• Possess a valid driver’s license and a safe driving record/ Required to obtain a California driver’s license within thirty (30) days of hire
• In depth knowledge of Occupational Safety Health (OSH) guidelines and practices is required.
• Experience in reporting and developing policies is required.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office programs is required.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
ofi provides equality of opportunity for all persons with respect to hiring without discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, age, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation. All employment will be decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us for support at: US-Talent.Acquisition@ofi.com
At ofi, we celebrate our diversity. Olam Americas Inc. is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.