The role of the EH&S Specialist II is to implement EHS programs and lead various program activities for Bio-Rad, specifically pertaining to Emergency Response and employee safety. Under the leadership of the NorCal EHS Manager, the EH&S Specialist II will serve as a technical consultant/subject matter expert for EHS programs such as LOTO, Machine Guarding, Fall Protection, Respiratory Protection, Hearing Conservation, and Laboratory Safety.
- Lead Machine Safety Program - Evaluate equipment design and suggest modifications and safety improvements.
- Train employees on machine safety. Lead/support equipment risk assessments, process hazard analyses, and change management processes.
- Incident Investigation - Support or lead incident analyses to determine root cause(s), prevention, and corrective measures. Performs root cause investigations of all injuries, illnesses and near miss incidents to determine injury prevention measures to assist in reducing the number and severity of recordable injuries.
- Provides topics and slides of injury reports and trends to communicate preventive strategies to personnel.
- Investigate workplace accidents; determine causes and prevention methods. Ensure all OSHA 300 and 300A and other OSHA electronic reporting is completed annually.
- ERT Program Management - Leads the Emergency Response Team (ERT) for emergency situations, including hazardous materials spills and medical emergencies. Facilitate routine ERT team Meetings and coordinate/stage emergency drills. Coordinates HazWoper, CPR/AED and first aid training for ERT. Coordinates AED Program and equipment testing, maintenance, and logging for AED units. Ensure sites develop emergency response policies and coordinate/stage emergency drills. Ability and willingness to respond to site emergencies.
- Respiratory Protection - Evaluates requests for respiratory protection and assists with the proper respirator selection for the identified hazard. Coordinates respiratory medical clearance exams and fit testing requirement. SCBA equipment maintenance.
- Recordkeeping / Reporting - collect, organize, and maintain data and records for EHS permit compliance and reporting. Track and trend safety near misses, incidents, and associated actions. Track and trend safety near misses, incidents, and associated actions.
- B.S. Degree, preferably in Engineering, required.
- 4 years of relevant experience required in the areas of engineering, health and safety, chemistry, or environmental science.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Skills in Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Power Point, Excel, and Outlook. Additional Software: SharePoint, Docusign, ServiceNow, PowerBI, and Smartsheets.
- Possesses working knowledge of OSHA, and EPA and other related regulatory requirements.
- Acts as an EHS Information Management System administrator.
- May assist in data migration/maintenance.
- Demonstrates an ability to manage time and work on projects of moderate complexity.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize, evaluate, and recommend controls for workplace hazards.
- Technical and practical knowledge of biotechnology and/or research and development is highly recommended, or a willingness to quickly become proficient is required.
- The ability to effectively shift priorities and work at a rapid pace is required.
Due to the higher threat of more infectious and deadly COVID-19 variant strains emerging, Bio-Rad has a mandatory vaccination policy requiring its US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. New hires will be asked to upload their vaccination card into our electronic database hosted by ClearPass, who specializes in securing electronic medical information, within 3 days of their start date. With this policy, Bio-Rad joins a growing list of companies that are prioritizing sound science and available facts to best ensure the ongoing safety of its employees and the community.
Bio-Rad is a global leader providing a broad array of clinical diagnostics and life science research products. With a team of more than 8,000 employees and a global network of operations serving our customers, we help people live longer, healthier lives.
Bio-Rad was founded over six decades ago and has continued to provide the healthcare industry with innovative and useful products that help life science researchers accelerate the discovery process and medical diagnostic labs obtain faster, better results.
Bio-Rad does not accept agency resumes, unless the agency has been authorized by a Bio-Rad Recruiting Representative. Please do not submit resumes unless authorized to do so. Bio-Rad will not pay for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.