THIS POSITION IS A SHORT TERM, MAX 1,000 HOUR ASSIGNMENT.
North Wind Services, is actively seeking individuals who can contribute to national security within the science, technology, and engineering fields as part of our supplemental labor team at vital federal research and development installations supporting the Department of Energy. NWS has an established history of contributing to the success of their customers mission. Available employment opportunities may range from administrative and logistical support to advanced technical positions.
Qualified applicants must be a US citizen, at least 18 years of age, and able to meet pre-employment requirements including any required physicals, drug screen, and/or background investigation to satisfy clearance requirements from the Department of Energy.
Successful candidates will be employees of NWS, a premier government contractor charged with employing highly-motivated and well-qualified personnel who can advance the missions of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, CA. Though employed by NWS, the employee will take day-to-day direction from technical personnel employed directly by the research laboratories. Pay, benefits, Human Resource, and Employment Management functions are provided by NWS.
This position is supporting the National Ignition Facility (NIF) which is the world’s largest and most energetic laser facility ever built. NIF is also the most precise and reproducible laser as well as the largest optical instrument. The giant laser has nearly 40,000 optics, which precisely guide, reflect, amplify, and focus 192 laser beams onto a fusion target about the size of a pencil eraser.
The NIF & PS Directorate has an opening for a talented individual to become a core member of the National Ignition Facility (NIF) Target Fabrication team. Targets are precision assemblies comprised of the essential elements for experiments performed on the NIF laser and include complex manufactured components. Consequently, they raise many interesting challenges requiring a combination of mechanical engineering and metrology science to measure and analyze. Your primary role will be to define, perform, and analyze data from complex metrology operations on target components and assemblies.
Due to the vast and varying types of experiments, NIF is a 24/7 operational facility. This position may require the candidate to have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and or weekends to accomplish goals. This position may also require working alternate schedules such as 4/10’s or 12 hour shifts. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
- Use optical coordinate measurement machines (OCMMs) to program and run complex metrology routines on target assemblies and provide crucial data for NIF laser experiments.
- Use X-ray techniques, such as radiography, tomography, or diffraction as well as optical interferometric methods to characterize unique precision components.
- Work with an interdisciplinary team to select metrology methods and define new measurement parameters and acceptance criteria for new components and assemblies, under limited direction.
- Perform moderately complex to complex engineering calculations to support metrology operations.
- Analyze data using error bar analysis and requirement verification techniques.
- Write and refine MATLAB routines to process metrology data.
- Provide technical solutions addressing moderately complex to complex problems with limited direction.
-Train and mentor technical staff.
- Develop characterization techniques for measuring products against required specifications using advanced microscopy, interferometry, or X-ray imaging.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- AA degree in an engineering technology such as mechanical, industrial, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge in dimensional and coordinate metrology and experience using an OCCM system for 3D dimensional measurements including laser probes.
- Experience with metrology techniques, such as interferometry, atomic force microscopy, radiography or tomography systems including reconstruction techniques.
- Knowledge and experience with putting together inspection reports on manufactured components with the ability to determine limitations in resolution and accuracy in manufacturing.
- Experience working effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Knowledge and proficiency with measurement fundamentals, including error bar analysis and requirement verifications.
- Experience working with and programming in MATLAB or demonstrated ability programming in an application.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Ability to lead independent work.
- Knowledge of ANSI/ASME standards for testing of machine tools or coordinate measuring machines.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-employment drug test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Subcontractor.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave, and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline 1-208-528-8714.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.