North Wind Services, is actively seeking individuals who can contribute to national security within the science, technology, and engineering fields as part of our supplemental labor team at vital federal research and development installations supporting the Department of Energy. NWS has an established history of contributing to the success of their customers mission. Available employment opportunities may range from administrative and logistical support to advanced technical positions.
Qualified applicants must be a US citizen, at least 18 years of age, and able to meet pre-employment requirements including any required physicals, drug screen, and/or background investigation to satisfy clearance requirements from the Department of Energy.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
NWS demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an exemption, and associated accommodations if deemed available and reasonable, under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
Successful candidates will be employees of NWS, a premier government contractor charged with employing highly-motivated and well-qualified personnel who can advance the missions of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, CA. Though employed by NWS, the employee will take day-to-day direction from technical personnel employed directly by the research laboratories. Pay, benefits, Human Resource, and Employment Management functions are provided by NWS.
The National Security Engineering Division (NSED), within the Engineering Directorate, has multiple openings for a Mechanical Technicians. The successful candidates will support new and on-going experiments involving engineering evaluation, fabrication, assembly, and documentation. The scope of the work may include programmatic support of experiments at various LLNL locations. The successful candidate will apply general engineering principles and moderately complex technical functions to solve technical problems. Occasional travel and overtime may be required.
This position may require the employee to have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and/or weekends to accomplish goals. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
- Prepare design, fabrication and assembly of mechanical systems/ equipment using a knowledge of design and mechanical system functions.
- Machine components using conventional lathe, mill and other manufacturing process machines.
- Collaborate with scientist, engineers, technicians, and high-level personnel to provide general technical support to various programmatic tasks.
- Incorporate intermediate knowledge of 3D CAD modeling of design concepts using SolidWorks CAD software.
- Use drafting, design, engineering, and scientific programs on computer systems to produce supportive documentation and graphics.
- Apply knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes in the solution of mechanical problems.
- Work scheduled as well as unscheduled overtime.
- Ability to travel domestically and potentially internationally, for mechanical and customer support and interaction.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Provide advanced Mechanical or Electro-Mechanical design and drafting support where overall design parameters and specifications have been established.
- Contribute to preliminary design concepts for hardware, componentry, and systems including making independent judgment and decisions.
- Coordinate daily work scope activities for other technicians.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Associate degree in one of the following: mechanical, industrial, manufacturing or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Intermediate understanding of fabrication, machine tool technology and operation of conventional machine tools and inspection techniques.
- Intermediate technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve moderately complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Experience designing moderately complex mechanical components or systems.
- Ability to complete and maintain certifications as required by the position.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. in a safe and controlled manner.
- Ability to become medically qualified to wear respiratory and other protective equipment and perform moderate work effort while wearing respirators.
- Effective written and verbal communication, presentation, interpersonal and teamwork skills and abilities.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Advanced understanding of machine tool technology and operation of conventional machine tool, and inspection techniques.
- Experience making decisions regarding a variety of complex technical problems.
- Significant experience working independently on complex technical assignments and proven ability to meet project requirements and deadlines.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-employment drug test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave, and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline 1-208-528-8714 for assistance.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.