North Wind Services, is actively seeking individuals who can contribute to national security within the science, technology, and engineering fields as part of our supplemental labor team at vital federal research and development installations supporting the Department of Energy. NWS has an established history of contributing to the success of their customers mission. Available employment opportunities may range from administrative and logistical support to advanced technical positions.
Qualified applicants must be a US citizen, at least 18 years of age, and able to meet pre-employment requirements including any required physicals, drug screen, and/or background investigation to satisfy clearance requirements from the Department of Energy.
Successful candidates will be employees of NWS, a premier government contractor charged with employing highly-motivated and well-qualified personnel who can advance the missions of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, CA. Though employed by NWS, the employee will take day-to-day direction from technical personnel employed directly by the research laboratories. Pay, benefits, Human Resource, and Employment Management functions are provided by NWS.
The Advanced Materials, manufacturing & Processing Technologies Group within Materials Engineering Division (MED), in the Engineering Directorate has an opening for Mechanical Technician. The successful candidate will support new and on-going experiments involving engineering evaluation, fabrication, assembly, and documentation. The scope of the work may include programmatic support of experiments at various LLNL locations. The successful candidates will apply general engineering principles and moderately complex technical functions to solve technical problems. Occasional travel and overtime may be required.
This position may require the successful candidate have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and or weekends to accomplish goals. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
- Provide general technical support to engineering, scientific, and technical staff to plan and conduct experiments at LLNL and other off-site locations.
- Design, fabricate, assemble, and disassemble complex precision mechanical components and systems, using work control process and procedure requirements
- Use design software to produce supportive documentation and graphics.
- Operate experimental and diagnostic equipment and perform data recovery in the execution of experiments.
- Apply knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes in solving mechanical problems.
- Perform facility related and technical functions such as maintenance, testing, and upgrades to equipment.
- Participate in project, facility, and experimental design reviews, providing input to the assembly task.
- Assist in developing test parameters, troubleshooting and testing materials, components, or systems, identifying problems, and providing input on solutions.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Performed other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- AA/AS degree in Engineering Technology and/or degree/certifications in mechanical, industrial, or manufacturing technology, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of engineering hardware design and testing processes.
- Experience with fabrication, evaluating, and testing processes.
- Experience in CNC manufacturing, machining using lathes, mills, band saws, welding, casting, forming, etc.
- Experience in mechanical measurement and mechanical assembly of components.
- Knowledge of computer aided drafting/design software.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication, interpersonal, and teamwork skills and abilities working effectively with all levels of management, technical, engineering, and scientific staff.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Demonstrated high level technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Ability to read and follow assembly procedures, engineering notes, sketches, and drawings.
- Experience with CNC equipment, including understanding and writing machine tool code.
- Experience with optical, radiographic, and electronic diagnostic equipment.
- Experience working with precision metrology tooling and precision assembly consistent with achieving and validating tolerances.
-Experience fabricating with 3D printers.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-employment drug test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave, and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline 1-208-528-8714 for assistance.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.