North Wind Services, is actively seeking individuals who can contribute to national security within the science, technology, and engineering fields as part of our supplemental labor team at vital federal research and development installations supporting the Department of Energy. NWS has an established history of contributing to the success of their customers mission. Available employment opportunities may range from administrative and logistical support to advanced technical positions.
Qualified applicants must be a US citizen, at least 18 years of age, and able to meet pre-employment requirements including any required physicals, drug screen, and/or background investigation to satisfy clearance requirements from the Department of Energy.
Successful candidates will be employees of NWS, a premier government contractor charged with employing highly-motivated and well-qualified personnel who can advance the missions of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, CA. Though employed by NWS, the employee will take day-to-day direction from technical personnel employed directly by the research laboratories. Pay, benefits, Human Resource, and Employment Management functions are provided by NWS.
This position is supporting the National Ignition Facility (NIF) which is the world’s largest and most energetic laser facility ever built. NIF is also the most precise and reproducible laser as well as the largest optical instrument. The giant laser has nearly 40,000 optics, which precisely guide, reflect, amplify, and focus 192 laser beams onto a fusion target about the size of a pencil eraser.
The NIF Directorate has multiple openings for an Optical/Mechanical Technician to support Optics Production. The successful candidate must be able to work in a low-level radiologically-contaminated, clean room environment and handle large, high-value optics and optical assemblies. The successful candidate will perform duties under close supervision and report to the NIF Optics Production Manager.
Due to the vast and varying types of experiments, NIF is a 24/7 operational facility. This position may require the Engineering Technician V / Power Conditioning Systems Operations and Maintenance Tech to have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and or weekends to accomplish goals. This position may also require working alternate schedules such as 4/10’s or 12 hour shifts. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
- Handling of large (to 18” square, and up to 50 lbs.) valuable laser optics for the NIF using mechanical lift or 2-person lifting techniques.
- Processing large optics, including hand cleaning, automated cleaning, coating and etching.
- Inspecting large optics.
- Mounting optics into mechanical hardware frames
- Performing metrology on optics, including interferometry, ellipsometry, spectroscopy, imaging, and operating defect metrology tools.
- Working in a class 100 cleanroom.
- Using web-based data management systems to track work, record metrology data, and report problems.
- Follow and adhere to written, operational, and safety procedures in the course of completing job assignments.
- This position requires ability to work a second shift work schedule and rotating day. Will support a 24/7 operation.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ESH&Q, Security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Work requirements may involve climbing ladders and stairs, lifting up to 50 pounds, standing or walking for significant periods of time.
- Shipping and receiving of optics and other materials.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- A.S., or equivalent experience, in Optical or Mechanical technologies
- Experience with production technologies, including evaluating and testing processes.
- Ability to perform work deliberately, carefully and safely.
- Demonstrated ability to work within deadlines to perform multiple tasks and communicate effectively with managers and customers.
- Ability to follow detailed procedures and accurately record process parameters.
- Experience with database, data manipulation skills, personal computers and associated software.
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks and changing priorities.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse group of personalities and disciplines.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-employment drug test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Subcontractor.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave, and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline 1-208-528-8714 for assistance.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.