North Wind Services, is actively seeking individuals who can contribute to national security within the science, technology, and engineering fields as part of our supplemental labor team at vital federal research and development installations supporting the Department of Energy. NWS has an established history of contributing to the success of their customers mission. Available employment opportunities may range from administrative and logistical support to advanced technical positions.
Qualified applicants must be a US citizen, at least 18 years of age, and able to meet pre-employment requirements including any required physicals, drug screen, and/or background investigation to satisfy clearance requirements from the Department of Energy.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
NWS demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an exemption, and associated accommodations if deemed available and reasonable, under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
Successful candidates will be employees of NWS, a premier government contractor charged with employing highly-motivated and well-qualified personnel who can advance the missions of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, CA. Though employed by NWS, the employee will take day-to-day direction from technical personnel employed directly by the research laboratories. Pay, benefits, Human Resource, and Employment Management functions are provided by NWS.
This position is supporting the National Ignition Facility (NIF) which is the world’s largest and most energetic laser facility ever built. NIF is also the most precise and reproducible laser as well as the largest optical instrument. The giant laser has nearly 40,000 optics, which precisely guide, reflect, amplify, and focus 192 laser beams onto a fusion target about the size of a pencil eraser.
The Engineering Technicians must possess a passion and enthusiasm to perform installation maintenance, operation, and modification to the complex NIF Facility and Utility Systems. The installation, maintenance, operations, and repair of NIF technical equipment require challenging technical skills of the successful candidates. The successful candidates must have demonstrated exceptional high ability in supporting previous large complex mechanical distribution systems and associated equipment. This requires versatile, broad-based Engineering Technicians that are skilled and proficient in all hands-on maintenance, operations, and modifications to support specialized air systems, pressurized gas systems, facility systems, typical and non-typical plant equipment, research equipment, beampath, and related components and apparatuses. The successful candidates will work in the NIF Facility and Infrastructure Systems (FInS) Work Center within a tightly secured facility. Reporting directly to the FInS Field Supervisor, the Engineering Technicians will work under general supervision interacting with clients, supervisors, coworkers and other technical personnel.
Due to the vast and varying types of experiments, NIF is a 24/7 operational facility. This position may require the successful candidate to have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and or weekends to accomplish goals. This position may also require working alternate schedules such as 4/10’s or 12 hour shifts. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
- Performs physical installation of typical or non-typical equipment according to layouts of mechanical apparatus in accordance with national, state and local safety codes and practices.
- Assure that the as-built configuration of the NIF facility and utility systems are consistent with configuration drawings/diagrams.
- Plan mechanical inspections, corrective maintenance, preventative maintenance repairs, installation projects and review, including inspecting systems for conformance to design and applicable codes.
- Review existing system management processes to verify safety and performance of the building and utility systems in the NIF facility are properly maintained.
- Participate in NIF quarterly outages for utility and facility maintenance.
- Operate typical and non-typical test equipment such as voltmeters, ohmmeters, current meters, meggers, motorized wire pulling equipment, and utilize other various power tools, equipment and hand tools to troubleshoot, install and perform maintenance.
- Operate controls systems for process utility, specialty air systems and other facility systems.
- Work from detailed drawings and verbal or written instruction.
- Provide good customer service in a timely manner.
- Prepare standard logs and reports on facility and utility systems.
- Responsible and accountable for performing tasks in accordance with ES&H regulations and procedures fulfilling all Integrated Safety, Security and Property Management responsibilities as appropriate.
- Computer use, including control system computers and maintenance tablets
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- A.A in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering Technology or related field or equivalent combination of education or experience as it relates to facility/utility systems.
- Demonstrated physical hands-on experience as it relates to facilities installation, operations, maintenance, and repair.
- Knowledge of analytical tools for simulating facility and utility systems. - Proficient in the use of all tools used for installation, testing and the repair of facility and utility systems, including facility/utility specialty air systems.
- Experience anticipating, identifying and resolving facility and utility problems.
- Experience and knowledgeable with LOTO (Lockout/Tagout) processes and safety codes. - Ability to work from detailed drawings and blueprints. - Excellent customer service and communication skills and the ability to work independently or as a team member, working and interacting well with internal and external customers.
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary, dynamic environment under tight time constraints. - Medically qualified to wear respiratory and protective equipment. - Ability to work scheduled as well as emergency overtime work.
- Ability to work in confined spaces and perform physical requirements of job including frequent twisting and pulling.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Basic computer skills
- Knowledge of Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS)
- Knowledge of National Electrical Code (NEC) and local, state and federal electrical codes.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-employment drug test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Subcontractor.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave, and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline 1-208-528-8714 for assistance.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.