North Wind Services, is actively seeking individuals who can contribute to national security within the science, technology, and engineering fields as part of our supplemental labor team at vital federal research and development installations supporting the Department of Energy. NWS has an established history of contributing to the success of their customers mission. Available employment opportunities may range from administrative and logistical support to advanced technical positions.
Qualified applicants must be a US citizen, at least 18 years of age, and able to meet pre-employment requirements including any required physicals, drug screen, and/or background investigation to satisfy clearance requirements from the Department of Energy.
Successful candidates will be employees of NWS, a premier government contractor charged with employing highly-motivated and well-qualified personnel who can advance the missions of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, CA. Though employed by NWS, the employee will take day-to-day direction from technical personnel employed directly by the research laboratories. Pay, benefits, Human Resource, and Employment Management functions are provided by NWS.
The Electric Utility Division within the Infrastructure Maintenance and Utilities Department (IMUD) has an opening for an Electric Utility Engineer. Under minimal supervision, the successful candidate will perform a variety of senior-level engineering, planning, design, protection, maintenance, operations, construction, and modification activities on the transmission, substation, and distribution facilities (115kV, 13.8kV, 12kV, and 4kV) serving the LLNL Main Site and Site 300. The successful candidate will conduct electric utility system load-flow studies and economic studies to support engineering recommendations. This position reports directly to the Electric Utility Division Leader.
This position may require the employee to have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and/or weekends to accomplish goals. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
- Provide system studies and complete studies by predetermined deadline.
- Mentor new engineers on LLNL work flow, design, execution of work, and how to meet deadlines.
- Complete system studies, switching orders, work coordination, and inspections.
- Provide support to PMO projects, EUD projects, SCADA switching, PM and CM work.
- Identify short and long-range electric utility system capability deficiencies by analyzing complex system
component capability and projected load growth. Provide economic and timely solutions for system
reinforcements to eliminate identified system capability deficiencies and to maintain LLNL’s electric utility systems service reliability and quality goals.
- Conduct electric utility system load-flow studies and economic studies to support engineering recommendations.
- Analyze electric utility system protection requirements and make protection scheme recommendations
for transmission lines, substations, metal-clad switchgear, and distribution circuits. Set and coordinate all protective relays and provide supporting fault-duty studies.
- Develop and implement electric utility system equipment maintenance and system operations
procedures and standards.
- Review and approve electric utility system equipment test reports, as-built switchgear drawings, system one-line diagrams, associated system drawings, and Switching Orders to ensure system load
parameters are within limits during abnormal circuit configurations.
- Monitor existing electric utility system parameters and provide engineering recommendations to maintain the system within allowable limits.
- Perform electric utility system arc-flash assessments and determine appropriate in-field personal
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering (power systems concentration) or equivalent electric utility work-related experience.
- Advanced experience using AutoCAD, OneNote, Bluebeam, and FileMaker Pro.
- Ability to prioritize work and complete all work by strict deadlines.
- Ability to share knowledge and continue to learn and improve.
- Strong Attention to detail with excellent follow through.
- Advanced knowledge of and significant experience in electric utility substation and distribution system
engineering, maintenance, and operations; significant knowledge of electric utility distribution system
switchgear; ability to read electric utility system drawings (one-lines, three-lines, schematics, etc.).
- Significant experience in electric utility system safe work practices in accordance with the National
Electrical Safety Code (NESC).
- Advanced knowledge of California Public Utility Commission General Orders 95 and 128, and other
applicable codes and standards (IEEE C37, C57, etc.); knowledge of the National Electrical Code, NFPA
70E, and IEEE 1584.
- Advanced knowledge of electric utility system analysis software (SKM Power Tools preferred) to perform load-flow, fault-duty, protective device coordination, and arc-flash studies.
- Experience performing engineering economic studies and making recommendations to management and stakeholders.
- Ability using AutoCAD to prepare design drawings; demonstrated ability using Microsoft Word, Excel,
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team
environment (with engineers, electricians, administrative staff, project management, and construction
personnel) and present and explain technical information to management.
- Proven ability to provide superior and effective customer service.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Knowledge of LLNL Electric Utility Division (EUD) standards, work methods, processes and procedures, and lab knowledge.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-employment drug test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave, and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline 1-208-528-8714 for assistance.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.