Rising Sun Center for Opportunity is hiring a Director of Adult Programs. This position is responsible for overseeing Rising Sun’s Opportunity Build program. Opportunity Build is a certified Multi-Craft Core Curriculum apprenticeship readiness training program that provides a pathway out of poverty for adults who aspire to obtain high road jobs in the union construction trades. The goal of the program is to take people who have little to no construction background to apprenticeship readiness in 10 weeks. Opportunity Build serves low-income adults experiencing significant barriers to employment, with an emphasis on serving women and individuals impacted by the justice system. Opportunity Build’s trauma-informed, whole-person approach provides not only practical training, but also the individualized support needed to help participants overcome barriers to employment.
The Director of Adult Programs is responsible for the strategic direction of the program, building and maintaining program partnerships, managing the Opportunity Build staff, and is accountable for all program goals and outcomes. This position helps to advance Rising Sun’s commitment to offering high-road career opportunities while building economic and climate resilience for priority communities.
The Director of Adult Programs reports to the Chief Program Officer and directly supervises the program’s Senior Program Manager, Case Manager, and the Construction Instructor and Business Liaison. This position is part of the Rising Sun leadership team and is an integral part of an organization committed to making a significant and lasting impact in the lives of hundreds of people every year.
RISING SUN IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Rising Sun is committed to diversity and considers all applicants for all positions
without regard to color, ethnic background, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation,
national origin, age, and disability status. EOE/AA; women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply. For more information about Rising Sun, please visit www.risingsunopp.org
A successful Director of Adult Programs…
• Is passionate about Rising Sun’s mission and excited to actively champion it
• Thinks creatively and expansively, always listening for new opportunities; is a master problem-solver and thrives in the face of a challenge
• Has a track record of leading or co-leading organizational strategy and culture in collaboration with a team
• Is a skilled manager of people and programs, with a history of motivating staff and inspiring others to perform their best; leads by example and is an efficient and organized delegator
• Is committed to empowering individuals to succeed – both staff and participants; fosters a culture of learning and growth for career development
• Enjoys working in the community and meeting new people; strong relationship-building skills
• Is extremely well-organized; able to create and maintain all necessary paperwork and track data. Has the ability to hold all program staff to a high-level of organization, ensuring that case notes are always up to date
• Communicates effectively with program participants, team members, partners, and employers; able to develop rapport and build trust with a diverse range of individuals and handle challenging situations with professionalism and intention
• Has a strong understanding of apprenticeship programs and union requirements
• Demonstrates self-awareness, in terms of understanding their own culture, identity,
biases, prejudices, power, privilege, and stereotypes
• Demonstrates willingness to challenge and change institutional practices that present barriers to different groups
The Director of Adult Programs is responsible for…
• Working with the Chief Program Officer in setting the overall strategy and direction of the Opportunity Build program
• Supervising and coaching 3-4 program staff; providing strategic direction and oversight, supportive guidance, and professional development
• Ensuring accountability to program goals and positive experiences for Opportunity Build participants
• Overseeing and monitoring program direction in alignment with the organizational mission, strategic plan; ensuring all contractual and grant obligations are met
• Creating and managing the program budget, including tracking the Profit & Loss Statement
• Coordinating with the Senior Program Manager to implement systems of accountability to ensure that polices and best practices are followed and continually improved upon
• Ensuring that all of Opportunity Build’s databases and systems are regularly updated, and that each participant is tracked and supported for 12 months
• Managing all instructors and independent contractors
• Contracting, invoicing, and reporting
• Coordinating with Opportunity Build’s many partners to ensure the curriculum aligns with employer needs to maintain strong employer relationships
• Representing Opportunity Build to external partners; ensuring a high level of stakeholder engagement and buy-in; increase program visibility
• Working with the Development & Communications team to identify and secure new funding opportunities for Opportunity Build
• Collaborating with Rising Sun’s leadership team; bearing the leadership standard for the organization, implementing the organizational mission and vision, and contributing towards a thriving organizational culture
• Other responsibilities as required
About Rising Sun...
Rising Sun is a premier nonprofit organization operating in the California Bay Area and San Joaquin County whose mission is to build career pathways for economic equity and climate resilience. With offices in Oakland and Stockton, Rising Sun’s workforce development programs, Climate Careers and Opportunity Build, specialize in preparing youth, women, and individuals in reentry for high-road careers and green pathways that offer family-sustaining wages. Since our founding in 1994, Rising Sun has trained and employed more than 3,000 youth and adults while helping over 53,000 households reduce their carbon footprint. Our vision is a just and sustainable future for all people and our planet.
About our culture...
We are mission-driven and work hard because we care deeply about what we do.
We are deeply committed to equity and inclusion and want to do the self-work
necessary to be successful in these areas. We like working with each other and we
like to make work fun. We like to try new things and encourage each other to find
unique and unconventional ways to tackle tough problems. We celebrate every
birthday, eat a lot of dessert together, and recycle the same birthday candles until
they’re gone. There’s usually at least one dog hanging around the office, and
sometimes a staff member’s kid or two as well. We want people to grow. We like
to promote from within and build each other up, but we also like to bring in new
ideas and different perspectives. We’re looking forward to meeting you and
hearing about how you can contribute to making Rising Sun a great place to work.
You might also be wondering about pay and benefits...
This is a permanent, full-time, exempt, salaried, and benefitted position with an annual salary range of $95-105K commensurate with experience. Rising Sun offers a competitive benefits package that includes paid time off, personal and parental leave, access to a 403b retirement plan with employer matching, and remote work options. Rising Sun covers 100% of employee medical, dental, vision, and life insurance premiums, and covers 50% of the premiums for dependents. Rising Sun offers flexible remote work options for its employees, with exceptions for staff during specific times of the year and mandatory in-office days for all employees.
Ready to apply?
Please email your resume, cover letter, and 3 professional references
to email@example.com, and include “Director of Adult Programs” in the subject line.