Job title: Bilingual Customer Service Representative
(English/Vietnamese or English/Korean)
Reports to: Energy Program Manager (EPM)
FSLA Status: Non-Exempt
The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) Customer Service Representative reports directly to the Energy Program Manager (EPM) and is responsible for providing excellent customer service to our low-income clients by educating, screening and qualifying applicants for LIHEAP. Duties include presenting LIHEAP and Weatherization Program information to the public, qualifying low-income families and individuals for eligibility for various energy assistance programs, following all California Department of Community Services and Development guidelines, and following up with clients to assure satisfaction. Help Spectrum meet its obligations under the various energy contracts, while enforcing the Spectrum Community Service values of safety, quality, efficiency, documentation, and compliance.
- Educate and screen clients. Review applications and required documentation and qualify applicants according to the Department of Community Services and Development (CSD) eligibility guidelines.
- Phone duty includes handling inquiries, returning phone messages, routing calls as needed.
- Assemble and mail requested materials.
- Handle crisis calls, welcome and assist “drop in” clients in a cordial and friendly manner.
- Must be able to use our front-end software system, Servtraq, to process LIHEAP applications.
- Use email to communicate with our clients and the State.
- Create and edit Google spreadsheets/docs for internal data tracking.
- Schedule clients when needed.
- Ensure complete confidentiality of client data.
- Self-monitor all work to ensure customer satisfaction and the highest quality and accuracy of all documentation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The minimum qualifications, physical demands and work environment characteristics described below are representative of those that must be met or will be encountered by an employee while performing the primary responsibilities of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary responsibilities.
- High School Diploma/GED required.
- Well-organized, self-directed, and highly motivated.
- Clear and concise oral communication skills.
- Strong desire to work in the non-profit sector as well as interest in energy conservation.
- Solid writing skills and documentation knowledge.
- Government contract compliance experience preferred.
- Results-oriented problem solver.
- Strong business-to-consumer service orientation; skilled in working with the public in diverse communities.
- Proficient to excellent computer skills in Google Suite (i.e.: Google Docs, Sheets, Mail) and Microsoft Office Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel).
- Proficient use of social media and Internet.
- Must be able to read, speak, and write English fluently. Must be able to read, speak and write Korean or Vietnamese fluently. Bilingual in English/Korean or English/Vietnamese.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions in English.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit, stand and move from one area to another.
- Finger dexterity for activities such as typing, use of the computer mouse, computer usage, recording money, grasping, and other repetitive motions.
- The employee is occasionally required to bend, reach, lift and relocate items weighing up to 10 lbs.
- Vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- The work is performed indoors which is temperature controlled.
- The noise level is normally quiet.
- Strive for improvement in self and for Spectrum; make recommendations for improvements.
- Respond timely to requests for information, service and assistance.
- Demonstrate a positive and productive attitude; have an open mind and be objective, trustworthy, honest and ethical.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Use and conserve organizational resources efficiently and effectively.
- Prioritize and plan work activities.
- Demonstrate consistency, reliability, accuracy and thoroughness.
- Show respect and sensitivity toward cultural differences.
- Promote a harassment and discrimination free environment.
- Follow or exceed organizational standards.
- Adhere to company policy and procedure; support Spectrum’s goals and values.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.