THIS POSITION IS SHORT TERM, MAX 1000 HOURS IN A CALENDAR YEAR
North Wind Services, is actively seeking individuals who can contribute to national security within the science, technology, and engineering fields as part of our supplemental labor team at vital federal research and development installations supporting the Department of Energy. NWS has an established history of contributing to the success of their customers mission. Available employment opportunities may range from administrative and logistical support to advanced technical positions.
Qualified applicants must be a US citizen, at least 18 years of age, and able to meet pre-employment requirements including any required physicals, drug screen, and/or background investigation to satisfy clearance requirements from the Department of Energy.
Successful candidates will be employees of NWS, a premier government contractor charged with employing highly-motivated and well-qualified personnel who can advance the missions of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, CA. Though employed by NWS, the employee will take day-to-day direction from technical personnel employed directly by the research laboratories. Pay, benefits, Human Resource, and Employment Management functions are provided by NWS.
The Technical Information Department (TID) has an opening for a Technical Writer. The successful candidate will work in the Central Production Editorial Team to produce a variety of highly specialized scientific and technical communication products for a wide range of customers across the institution.
This position may require the successful candidate have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and or weekends to accomplish goals. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
- Collaborate with scientific and technical staff to organize and clarify content, determine audience needs, and develop appropriate communication content and styles for technical projects.
- Edit and write scientific, technical, and nontechnical documents, presentations, and web-based content.
- Provide copyediting and proofreading of documents with careful attention to grammar, spelling, syntax and mechanics, formatting, and legibility while ensuring all standards and protocols regarding information security are applied.
- Create or modify formatting styles and graphics.
- Coordinate resources needed for completion of well-defined editing and production projects.
- Work closely with a diverse group of analysts, managers, and others to ensure projects meet cost, schedule, and quality commitments.
- Work closely with Team Lead and peers to prioritize and balance workload.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
At higher level
- May plan long-term project activities for self and other team members and manage project schedule.
- Contribute to decisions regarding guidelines, practices, procedures, or project parameters.
- Develop solutions to prevent delays during critical deadlines.
- Coordinate and direct project-specific work. Develop and implement plans for moderately complex projects and manage several high-level, complex documents simultaneously.
- Provide comprehensive editing and writing services for large and complex projects such as editorial development of materials, including revisions and notes on errors of logic, gaps in arguments, coherence of presentation and consistency of terminology. Review compliance with information security requirements.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, journalism, engineering, or a technical area, or the equivalent combination of education and experience in the area of technical communication.
- Experience in technical communications as well as in planning, developing, organizing, and writing scientific and/or technical content effectively across various types of communication platforms.
- Editing experience in scientific and/or technical areas using broad-based professional technical editing/writing skills, including general knowledge of and experience creating and using styles, professional principles, and technical communication practices and standards.
- Openness to having work edited and integrating editorial feedback.
- Ability to successfully work multiple tasks concurrently in a rapidly changing environment and attend to sensitive details with high consequence of error.
- Ability to plan work and execute projects to meet a specified scope and budget.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (particularly PowerPoint, Outlook, and Word), Microsoft SharePoint and Teams, Adobe Creative Cloud software (Dreamweaver, Photoshop, or Fireworks), and web platforms (WordPress or Drupal).
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills and experience collaborating and communicating with all levels of an organization, including other writer/editors, communication managers, subject matter experts, and senior managers.
- Ability to handle classified, unclassified, sensitive, and confidential issues with tact, diplomacy and discretion.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Experience coordinating complex multi-functional scientific and/or technical communication projects and collaborating with multiple scientific or technical groups to include tracking and establishing team commitments of cost, schedule, and quality.
- Advanced experience using and comprehensive knowledge of technical language, usage, and style conventions.
- Ability to work under minimal direction with significant latitude in determining and planning activities to reach objectives.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-employment drug test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: P (position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave, and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline 1-208-528-8714 for assistance.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.