North Wind Services, is actively seeking individuals who can contribute to national security within the science, technology, and engineering fields as part of our supplemental labor team at vital federal research and development installations supporting the Department of Energy. NWS has an established history of contributing to the success of their customers mission. Available employment opportunities may range from administrative and logistical support to advanced technical positions.
Qualified applicants must be a US citizen, at least 18 years of age, and able to meet pre-employment requirements including any required physicals, drug screen, and/or background investigation to satisfy clearance requirements from the Department of Energy.
Successful candidates will be employees of NWS, a premier government contractor charged with employing highly-motivated and well-qualified personnel who can advance the missions of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, CA. Though employed by NWS, the employee will take day-to-day direction from technical personnel employed directly by the research laboratories. Pay, benefits, Human Resource, and Employment Management functions are provided by NWS.
Under close supervision, provide basic journeyman sheet metal/welding fabrication skills and general manufacturing support to fabricate and process parts to customer requirements. This position requires close technical interactions with shop planners and supervision, as well as customers. The successful candidate will report to the Area Shop Supervisor.
This position may require the successful candidate have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and or weekends to accomplish goals. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
- Perform basic journey-level fabrication operations involving conventional sheet metal shop equipment, welding processes and related manufacturing equipment.
- Use basic welding and conventional sheet metal shop tools, measuring tools, and shop accessories.
- Perform shop calculations utilizing knowledge of material characteristics to determine overall design intent.
- Provide solutions or alternative approaches to solve basic technical manufacturing problems.
- Assemble metal components to prepare for welding.
- Fabricate fixtures and holding devices used during welding and manufacturing processes.
- Provide general shop support activities in support of Area Shops.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Basic Journeyman level experience equivalent to completion of an apprenticeship program in the fabrication technology.
- Basic experience using related shop equipment, hand tools, and measuring instruments.
- Basic knowledge of ANSI Y14.5 drafting standards (read and interpret blueprints) to produce parts and assemblies.
- Basic technical knowledge in sheet metal operations, procedures, standards, and techniques in a variety of materials and related equipment (e.g., MIG, TIG welding).
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Experience welding of both thick and thin materials (e.g., .125" Stainless Steel - 2" Aluminum)
- Experience with machine shop tools and precision fabrications.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-employment drug test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave, and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline 1-208-528-8714 for assistance.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.