North Wind Services, is actively seeking individuals who can contribute to national security within the science, technology, and engineering fields as part of our supplemental labor team at vital federal research and development installations supporting the Department of Energy. NWS has an established history of contributing to the success of their customers mission. Available employment opportunities may range from administrative and logistical support to advanced technical positions.
Qualified applicants must be a US citizen, at least 18 years of age, and able to meet pre-employment requirements including any required physicals, drug screen, and/or background investigation to satisfy clearance requirements from the Department of Energy.
Successful candidates will be employees of NWS, a premier government contractor charged with employing highly-motivated and well-qualified personnel who can advance the missions of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, CA. Though employed by NWS, the employee will take day-to-day direction from technical personnel employed directly by the research laboratories. Pay, benefits, Human Resource, and Employment Management functions are provided by NWS.
The Integrated Engineering and Design Central Drafting Group in NSED of the Engineering Directorate has an opening for a Piping Designer/Draftsperson to provide technical support on multiple projects in the Environmental Restoration Division's (ERD) Ground Water Restoration Team. Under minimal supervision, the selected candidate will provide technical support to associates, engineers, and scientists performing a variety of drafting and design duties, including: installation design, performing redline corrections, generating as-built drawings from various facility installations, and interpreting and translating concepts into design layouts, finished drawings, and other documentation as required for research and development projects. The Designer will solve basic technical problems through regular interactions with co-workers and Project Leads. The ERD NSED Ground Water support team supports multiple Laboratory programs along with other government agencies through Work-For-Others (WFO) projects. Some travel may be required. The Designer will report programmatically to Project Leads and administratively to the Central Drafting first-line supervisor.
This position may require the successful candidate have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and or weekends to accomplish goals. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
- Provide design support for experimental work in a specialized R&D facility.
- Generate original schematic, P&ID, assembly, facility, and mechanical part fabrication drawings; generate parts lists.
- Maintain and update facility system drawings and as-built fabrication documentation as needed to meet current requirements; perform redline corrections
- Use Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) tool AutoCAD 2017.
- Use Product Data Management (PDM) tools
- Effectively work with other resources including Electrical and Mechanical engineers, scientists, technicians, designers, and coordinators.
- Maintain a high level of safety awareness, while adhering to written safety procedures.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, Security, and business practice requirements and policies.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- A.A./A.S. in drafting, mechanical, engineering, machine or manufacturing technology or equivalent combination of 5+ years of education and experience related to the skills, knowledge, and abilities listed below.
- Experience generating original schematics, P&ID, assembly, facility, and mechanical part fabrication drawings; generate parts lists.
- Experience maintaining and updating facility system drawings and as-built fabrication documentation.
- Knowledge of drafting procedures and basic working knowledge of piping design
- Experience analyzing moderately complex existing design concepts, and utilizing this knowledge to complete/correct drawing packages
- Experience with Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) tool AutoCAD 2017
- Effective communication, interpersonal, and teamwork skills and abilities.
- Demonstrated safe work practices and high regard for safety awareness.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- BS in Mechanical Engineering.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-employment drug test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave, and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline 1-208-528-8714.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.