North Wind Services, is actively seeking individuals who can contribute to national security within the science, technology, and engineering fields as part of our supplemental labor team at vital federal research and development installations supporting the Department of Energy. NWS has an established history of contributing to the success of their customers mission. Available employment opportunities may range from administrative and logistical support to advanced technical positions.
Qualified applicants must be a US citizen, at least 18 years of age, and able to meet pre-employment requirements including any required physicals, drug screen, and/or background investigation to satisfy clearance requirements from the Department of Energy.
Successful candidates will be employees of NWS, a premier government contractor charged with employing highly-motivated and well-qualified personnel who can advance the missions of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, CA. Though employed by NWS, the employee will take day-to-day direction from technical personnel employed directly by the research laboratories. Pay, benefits, Human Resource, and Employment Management functions are provided by NWS.
The Integrated Engineering and Design Group (IE&DG) in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) located at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has an opening for a highly qualified Electronics Designer to primarily support the Environmental Restoration Division. Secondary support would include Physical and Life Science (PLS), Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI), Global Security (GS), accelerator technologies, high-energy physics, Energy, and others. Under minimal supervision, the successful candidate will provide advanced technical support in electronics drafting and design. The successful candidate will interpret and translate concepts into design layouts with supportive calculations and documentation. The successful candidate will prepare moderately complex electronics drawing packages comprised of finished interconnection, fabrication, assembly, one-line, wiring, and installation drawings of systems, facilities, and projects. Will solve complex technical problems in a team environment and have regular contact outside the work unit. This position will require initiative and exercise of independent judgment while following laboratory policies and procedures and industry standards and specifications. The Designer will report programmatically to Project Leads and administratively to the Central Drafting first-line supervisor.
This position may require the successful candidate have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and or weekends to accomplish goals. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
- Analyze, interpret, and create electronics design requirements, schedules and costs.
- Generate or drive electronics design solutions that address requirements and constraints, and translate these solutions into detailed interconnection, fabrication, schematic, wiring, facility, and assembly drawings.
- Provide supporting documentation for electronics design solutions that may include analysis, schedules, costing, and procedures.
- Basic understanding/working knowledge of P&ID documentation.
- Provide regular progress reporting to task lead reflecting manpower needs, schedule, job scope, and work assignment.
- Participate in design reviews.
- Interact productively with vendors, customers, and other associates outside the work unit.
- Maintain documentation in a configuration management system.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies; keep training current.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- AA/AS in Electronics Design/Drafting Technology or an equivalent combination of 5+ years of education and experience in the application of advanced electronics design and the skills, knowledge, and abilities listed below.
- High level skills, knowledge, and ability to generate moderately complex interconnection and wiring diagrams, assembly drawings, schematics, one-line, and associated mechanical detail drawings.
- Advanced knowledge of drafting procedures and vendor products.
- Advanced experience with AutoCAD software.
- Knowledgeable in related materials and fabrication techniques.
- Ability to analyze and interpret moderately complex design requirements, and to exercise creativity and judgment in solving electronic design problems.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Demonstrated capability for independent action and as a member of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to multitask and maintain a high level of accuracy.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- BS in Electrical or Electronics Engineering.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-employment drug test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave, and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline 1-208-528-8714.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.